2-stage triggers?

ARlife4me

I've never pulled the trigger on 1, so school me a bit! Does the trigger have a total pull of 4# on a 2x2 (example)? If so, does it feel like a 4# or just a 2#? More info about the questions is it's for AR's. Every trigger in all of my AR's are single stage with pull rates between 3.5-4.5#s. All are adjustable while installed. I'm just used to the feel as that's been a preference! My favorite adjustable AR triggers is Elfman and favorite non-adjustable is CMC. I have 2 tac-con's (different models) I've read about issues with them, but never experienced any with the 2 I have and used for 4+ years (maybe more). I do have other high dollar highly regarded triggers (Gieselle is 1), but always go back to my fav's. So, what is the big deal with 2-stage triggers?

I went to a 2 stage Geissele SSA-E on my predator rigs (ARs). I was running the CMC 2.5 single stage triggers and pulling some shots. I seem to shoot better while tracking a moving target with the first stage of the trigger taken up and sitting on the 2nd stage wall ready to break (1.5#) when the coyote stops. It is different for sure but I like them for that application. Most retailers have them on sale around $150 a couple times a year

Is this for a gas gun hunting rig? I tried one briefly on my thermal hog AR and on the first shot I liked it, but something I hadn't considered was the follow up shots once the sounder track meet starts. Went right back to a nice single stage as my modus operandi isn't to wait around on the wall like I would on say my 1 mile ELR rig(Trigger Tech 2 stage which I love). When a sounder of 30 blows up my rate of fire picks up and a 2 stage just not my cup of tea. Doesn't mean it may not be for you, but something to think about.

I only had single stage in all my rifles (bolt guns) for over 25 years. I had shot a few AR's with the crappy mil-spec 2 stage triggers and hated em. When I bought my M1 Garand; a rifle I had wanted to own my entire life, I got my idea of 2 stage triggers changed. I watched videos and read manuals and proceeded to do a trigger job on it. It has 2.5 lbs of take-up and a 2lb break. I love it. So much so that I now have Timney 2 stage Calvin elites in some of my bolt rifles. It's hard to explain why I like em so much but I'm kinda like mkk said above. I definitely will be putting more in my other bolt rifles. I'm not an AR guy but have shot some geissele 2 stage in em that are great.

I have the Geissele SSA-E on my AR 10 6.5 Creedmoo. I use this build to hammer steel at distanc, and will hunt whitetail this fall in my 'pasture' stand where could be up to 500 yard shot. So far, I wouldn't even say it's a learning curve, just a different feel finding the wall. As stated, once you're on the wall, you can hold if needed. I rarely do, just wall…and boom. Would I put it on my 6.5 Grendel hog 'gitter', no. Two stage trigger is more a Cadillac vs a Corvette.
edited: forgot to answer OP's question. It's a combined trigger pull weight. With my fairly cheap trigger gauge, 1st stage is 2.4 lbs and 2nd stage 1.1 lb consistent over 3 tests.

Last edited:
I have two LaRue's in my AR's, I really like them. It's kinda like taking out the creep before you reach the fire point, its real smooth and you know when you feel the second fire stage. My S&W 1500, one of my fav, has quite a bit of creep until you hit the wall then you are ready to fire. I wouldn't hesitate to put one in a bolt action.

Last edited:
I have the Geissele SSA-E on my AR 10 6.5 Creedmoo. I use this build to hammer steel at distanc, and will hunt whitetail this fall in my 'pasture' stand where could be up to 500 yard shot. So far, I wouldn't even say it's a learning curve, just a different feel finding the wall. As stated, once you're on the wall, you can hold if needed. I rarely do, just wall…and boom. Would I put it on my 6.5 Grendel hog 'gitter', no. Two stage trigger is more a Cadillac vs a Corvette.
edited: forgot to answer OP's question. It's a combined trigger pull weight. With my fairly cheap trigger gauge, 1st stage is 2.4 lbs and 2nd stage 1.1 lb consistent over 3 tests.
Since it's a combined weight, does it feel like a 4# or just feel like a 2# (if it's a 2x2) regardless of gauge results?

I run a Huber 2 stage in all my Rem 700 clone actions. I am sold on them. With the Huber, the first step is simply taking up the slack (like 1/4 pound - hardly any resistance at all). You then hit "the wall". It is a solid stop and easy to feel. From then on, you are right on the precipice depending on the poudage you selected when you bought the trigger. Mine is one pound and the break is right there. When I'm at my back wall, it seems all I have to do is think about it and the trigger goes off. My personal preference. I suspect a heavier poundage would be more appropriate for colder climates.

Two stage triggers are a great tool for precision shots ,
depending on model ,its 1.5-2 lbs take up ( 1st stage)
then your on the wall , another 1.5-2lbs of pull and the sear breaks like a thin piece of glass with lil to no over travel.
its the crispest sear break in an AR with out going to a package drop in style ( trigger tech, rise armor, etc ) which i have had reset issue with .
the two stage trigger never holds me back on fast rates of fire.
scattering hogs or fleeing coyotes .
im a competitive speed shooter and drills will train your mind not to think about single or two stages.
there is no faster rate of fire than CQ drills
am gold or geissele ,both excellent and hold up well .
talk to any serious 3 gunner or multi gun competitor .