1st turned necks. Opinions please

Truing the outside diameter of your case neck to create a more consistent neck wall thickness all the way around the entire neck. This creates a more consistent neck tension which leads to a more consistent bullet release with a final result hoping to achieve a lower and more consistent ES and SD. Others could explain it better than I can. Just buy good brass(Lapua, Peterson etc.) and you wont have to worry about it.
It's also necessary for some specific cartridges, either due to poor design from the factory (looking at you WSSM's with horribly thick necks) or due to wildcatting a longer round that has been shortened and/or necked down. For example if you make 25-06 brass from 30-06 brass, the neck will be thicker than factory ammo. So you may have to turn the necks down just a tad.

The only brass I turn is 30-378 weatherby because I think it's inconsistent enough to be worth it, and I hardly ever shoot it anyway so it's not too big of a time killer.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.