1st time wyoming elk hunt

handeerooster

I am planing a Wyoming elk hunt for this year. Does anyone have a good suggestion of some units that offer good public access. I have 4 points and am going gun hunting It will also be unguided. Is there a place one can find land owners that offer tress pass fess or DYI, semi guided hunts. I have studied several maps and am just getting more confused as what units would be best. Any help would be great.

I would look closely at the units in the Big Horn Mountains in northcentral Wyoming. It's all National Forest with a good elk population and there are no grizzlies and very few, if any, wolves to worry about. It's some beautiful country where you can also see moose and mulies on your hunt. Just be aware that you can't enter the Wilderness part without a guide, but there is really no need to go up in there anyway.

There seems to be a lot of buzz about Wyo. these days.. personally, if I had points to use, the only area in the Bighorns that I would use them on is 45. True, there's no grizzlies but the wolves are definitely here. Shouldn't really affect your elk hunt though, yet. 45 can be done DIY pretty easily. But if you want a biggun you'll probably want to put in for areas across the basin like 58 and the surrounding ones.

I wouldn't disagree with you at all on hunting 45 on a DIY and, yes, there are a few wolves in certain areas of the Big Horns. They are trying to keep them from getting established over there and a Federal guy shot several out of a pack the summer before last that had killed over 100 sheep and calves down on the south end of the mountains. The alpha male he shot had a collar showing he had been tagged way up north of Yellowstone. They are keeping it very quiet for obvious reasons. I don't think you should sell the other units short though. I was with my buddy last year in another unit and he killed a 357 3/8" bull and we saw one bigger than that, so that's nothing to sneeze at! The Game Warden I know out there said he's seen a few that will touch 400", so I'm not so sure that you need to go over toward 58 to shoot a good one.

Thanks guys that is helpful info. I was looking at the big horns but thought there might be a lot of hunting pressure in those units I was looking at 33 or 45. I haven't done much research on 58 but I will I stayed away from those units with the thought that most of them were manly wilderness units. Do either of you know how to find out what land owners have tress pass fees.
Thanks for the help!!

There's been wolf trouble on both ends and both sides of the mountain. I can understand and appreciate them keeping it quiet, that way the libs don't throw a hissy fit. Personally, I wouldn't mind if they shot them all. Now, I'm getting off track.

Anyway, I'm not saying you can't take a big bull off the Horns. It happens every year. I would say 35, 36, 37, 40, 41 and 42 are all mediocre areas. Are there big bulls in those areas? Of course. But, in 58, 61, 63 and 64 you're not only going to see more elk, but you will probably have more shot opportunities on big bulls. If it was me, I would not gamble that many points on those areas. 58 is hard to draw for a reason.

One way would probably be by contacting the Chamber of Commerce in the city closest to where you are thinking about hunting. The one in Gillette used to have a list with their phone numbers, etc. I'm not sure if the Regional G&F Offices have lists like that or not because I've never needed one since we hunt all BLM and state land.

Thanks for the advise everyone. We have decided to apply in unit 45 seemed like a good choice so we dont waste all our points. Plus it looks like there is a lot of public land with fair access.

You should have a good shot at it next year. In the regular draw, odds were 70% this year for people with 5 points.

If you are going to go with an Outfitter do not use Double Y Outfitters. I had terriable experience wiith them this year. They are located in areas 84 and 85.

I am still thinking about hunting unit 45 this year. I have four points and my brother has five i think. Where were you planning on hunting? Where were you planning on staying at as well?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.