1k yds for $1k

DanielLudwig

Looking for the best variable power long range hunting scope for under $1k. Right now I'm looking at the vxIII 8.5-25x50. Any recommendations are appreciated.
Daniel

I'd take a look at the Sightron SIII series. I have one which compares favorably with both of the Mk 4 scope I have.

Andrew

For big game at that range, 14X on the high end is adequate and 20X is ample. Buying more magnification just limits field of view at the low end and reduces contrast at all magnifications.

Go with the Sightron III 6x24x50 LRMOA. Me and my sons traded our Mark 4 Leupys and got the Sightrons. We have three of these and they are one of if not the best bang for the buck scopes on the market today. We have been extremely pleased with these scopes. We all took nice bucks this year from 225 yards to 634 yards all one shot DRT. You won't be disappointed!

Shameless plug I know, but I have a Nightforce BR in the classifieds for less than $1k. To my eyes, the BR models are optically better than the NXS and definitely better than any Leupold, Vortex, or SIII (other good options). Downside to the BR is the limited internal travel and to some, the front adj obj (but my guess as to why its better optically than the NXS due to one less lense). But, you get great glass, excellent tracking, outstanding reputation/warranty/resale.

I suggest A Vortex 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA with a custom turret. I am able to shoot out to 1,000 yds. and put 3 five shot groups into the boiler room of an antelope with my hunting rifle. The group sizes are in lower right of target. If you want more power and don't have it, OH WELL. The glass is very good and was good enough to see a 4 point whitetail at about 100 yds. more then a half hour after shooting time which is sunset . It was so dark I couldn't tell if it was a deer or dog with my eyes, but when I looked through the scope at 24x I could see the 4 points.

The turrets have been spot on even after turning them up and down hundreds of times.

joseph

Attachments

• 1000 yd. target.JPG
    1000 yd. target.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 64
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts