1in 10 twist is it too fast for 70 and 75 gr bullets

Iron Worker

Shooting a 6x284 Read in reloaders nest under new loads. 4,000 FPS with 70gr Sierra Bullets. Is 1 in 10 going to smoke them pills? Also they're useing 61gr of Viht 560.What about that powder,is it going to burn my barrel up? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The 1-10 will probably shoot those bullets fine. It really depends on the quality of the bore finish. If it is a top end barrel I would be suprised to see any bullet problems associated with twist.

If you were building a rifle specifically to shoot the 70 gr bullets, I would recommend a 1-12 twist but the 1-10 should perform well if in a quality barrel.

If there are problems with the 70 gr Sierra, all one needs to do is switch to the 70 gr Ballistic Tip and never have a worry again.

As far as powder, I would start with Rl-19 or a similiar burn rate Hodgdon powder such as H-4831SC. This powder as produced the best combo of velocity and accuracy in my rifles. They are all different so you could try any powder a bit faster or slower then this range.

I have not tested the VV powders in the 6-284 so I can not give any opinion on this.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Try this for help. Measure your bullet length and punch in the .243 at the prompt. This way you can taylor the bullet to the twist. web pageShort Mags .org Click on reloading, go to the bottom of the page where it says twist rate calculator, click on and enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.