195 EOL or 215 Hybrid

To me makes sense to go smaller only if it helps you spot shots at say 500 yards. With best brake possible and 9# rifle incl scope can you spot shots with 20 power scope with 300 PRC and 225's? 28 Nosler and 195's? If I can't spot shots with those I may as well use my 338 LAI
I was able to spot shots in the field at 200 yards with my 9.5 lb .338 Norma, shooting 300 grain bullets at 2700 fps......just need the right stock and brake. I was using a MBM Beast 5 port, and a Manners EH-1. I shot a pronghorn at a little under 200 yards with a 270 grain badlands going about 2875 fps, and watched the impact, at 20x magnification. Just need a good brake and stock is all!

Now, put on a 90° brake, or especially a radial brake, and that changes things. Combine that with certain stocks that don't track as well, and it will certainly be challenging. My current 30 nosler configured at 10.5 lbs, with a silencerco qd 3 port 90° brake, in an XLR chassis, is harder to spot my shots with than my lighter .338 Norma was. I need to take care when I build my position for a shot. If I put that barreled action in an EH-1 or similar, and threw on a more effective brake, it would be like a heavy varmint rifle.

try a 300 or 338 rum with a good break. you never regret your choice
I agree, I bought my first one in 2000, about the time they were introduced. It's a 300 Rem. 700 sendero, I still have it, probably has over 2000 rounds down the pipe. Got the 7.mm two years later, when it came out. A good friend of mine, son pestered me for years, for the 7 and I sold it to him back in 2016, and ever since been thinking of building a custom 7. A couple weeks ago my Lgs friend got a Aztek custom 300 Rum, he called and told me about. And of course I got it. Now I'm thinking my old Rem. going to get a new barrel, in 7mm Rum . To me you can't beat a Rum except maybe the Nos but that's another forum. Hope I didn't get to windy. Happy shooting. 👍👍😎

The only thing with the RUM's is the OAL. They get so long. If I go that route, how do I take advantage of the high BC bullets seated all the way out to optimize case capacity?
That's the downside to the RUM and why the Norma Improved is a better choice and provides 90%+ of the performance of the RUM with no COAL issues.

The only thing with the RUM's is the OAL. They get so long. If I go that route, how do I take advantage of the high BC bullets seated all the way out to optimize case capacity?
Super easy. Single feed! Throw a single shot tray in and they are actually pretty quick. As far as while moving through timber, I can't think of many times I have had time for more than one shot anyway. Shooting from prone, just have a few extra rounds laying there.

One-time modification to the stock and action by a smith, then it's good to go for anything out to 4" forever. 300 Rum, 7 RUM, 338 RUM, 338 Edge, you'll have the action/stock set up for all of them.

I'd start with the stock and get one that is really fit to you, bed an action down into it, and never mount the two to anything else again. Leave them together, and change barrels as you need/want to.

Wyatt's CFE-12 - 3.830"

Wyatt's CFE-9 - 4.000" but takes work on the action to make it fit:

Borden makes nice actions, but I'd recommend you call Defiance and talk to them about their RUM-cut actions and how they work with the Wyatt's boxes, if only to hear from them how the whole mess works together and that OAL won't be a problem for you.

Yes their are, my Smith built the one in my 700 action. Never had a issue. He's built them off model 70 La. With 4" box. 😘👍

One-time modification to the stock and action by a smith, then it's good to go for anything out to 4" forever. 300 Rum, 7 RUM, 338 RUM, 338 Edge, you'll have the action/stock set up for all of them.

I'd start with the stock and get one that is really fit to you, bed an action down into it, and never mount the two to anything else again. Leave them together, and change barrels as you need/want to.
Yes sir, and it not a big job. It does take a little time. Thank you. 😎

I have 2 28 Noslers and love them both, shooting the 195 Bergers at 3150fps and the other about 3050fps. Both are easy to load for not finicky at all and both shoot in the low .2'S One is a 28" Bartlien 3B and the other is a 27" 3B both 1:8 twist. I have another I am putting together with a 28" Proof CF SENDERO 1:8.

I also have a 30-28 Nosler and love it too, 28" PROOF CF SENDERO 1:9, It shoots great too with Berger 215's and an messing around with the 245 BERGERS.

I have killed 17 animals with the 28 Nosler and the 195 Berger and all have been 1 shot kills and none went more than 10 yards and that was just momentum, the animal was dead just didn't know it stumbling down hill. All of 2 seconds. 9 elk to 1180 yards, the closest 680 yards. The rest were Muleys and a few bear, same results there, They just flat out Kill! You can even run it in the high 2900"s to low 3000fps and they are still a Hammer on game. I haven't seen any difference on the animals killed with my 28's vs my 30 28 Nosler, I do know the few 245's I have shot was considerably more recoil that the 215 and for sure the 195's, not that it bothers me.
Your going to get a little better barrel life out of the 30-28 or 30 Nosler But if you want the 28 Nos you can always load it down around high 2900 fps while plinking, they are such a fun cartridge to shoot they just work! Boththe 28 Nosler and 30-28 or 30 Nosler are about the perfect LRH cartridge there is, they are at that point where anything bigger really goes way beyond the Point Diminishing Returns in more powder verses velocity gained. Not to mention added recoil.

I have 2 28 Noslers and love them both, shooting the 195 Bergers at 3150fps and the other about 3050fps. Both are easy to load for not finicky at all and both shoot in the low .2'S One is a 28" Bartlien 3B and the other is a 27" 3B both 1:8 twist. I have another I am putting together with a 28" Proof CF SENDERO 1:8.

I also have a 30-28 Nosler and love it too, 28" PROOF CF SENDERO 1:9, It shoots great too with Berger 215's and an messing around with the 245 BERGERS.

I have killed 17 animals with the 28 Nosler and the 195 Berger and all have been 1 shot kills and none went more than 10 yards and that was just momentum, the animal was dead just didn't know it stumbling down hill. All of 2 seconds. 9 elk to 1180 yards, the closest 680 yards. The rest were Muleys and a few bear, same results there, They just flat out Kill! You can even run it in the high 2900"s to low 3000fps and they are still a Hammer on game. I haven't seen any difference on the animals killed with my 28's vs my 30 28 Nosler, I do know the few 245's I have shot was considerably more recoil that the 215 and for sure the 195's, not that it bothers me.
Your going to get a little better barrel life out of the 30-28 or 30 Nosler But if you want the 28 Nos you can always load it down around high 2900 fps while plinking, they are such a fun cartridge to shoot they just work! Boththe 28 Nosler and 30-28 or 30 Nosler are about the perfect LRH cartridge there is, they are at that point where anything bigger really goes way beyond the Point Diminishing Returns in more powder verses velocity gained. Not to mention added recoil.
Man Muley you nailed it baby!!!!! End of discussion!

Recent Posts