180gr 7mm Bergers, all 3

youngbuck

Berger Makes 3 different 180gr .284 bullets; VLD hunting, VLD taget, and Hybrid target. BCs are equal for both the hunting and target VLD, and a little bit higher on the hybrid target. If I understand it correctly, the VLDs are the same bullet, with the exception the target has a thicker jacket. My question is does the Hybrid target have the same thickness of jacket as the VLD target?

I've got a buddy who is thinking about a 7RUM barrel. I load a 162gr A-max in my Dad's 7RM. I would like to see how the 180gr Bergers do in the 7RUM. Is there anybody using the 180 hybrids on game? If so how were terminal ballistics?
The BC is a little higher on the hybrid, also more likely to not be seating depth sensitive. I'm going to try the 180 VLD hunting if he gets the barrel. I see no point in trying the 180 hybrid if guys aren't getting good terminal ballistics with them. It would be nice to have a bullet with a higher BC, and not so picky about seating depth, but pointless if they "pencil" through game.

I don't want to start a debate about what the box says; hunting, target, match, tactical, ect. I'm interested in real world performance. I've seen plenty of critters put down with "paper punchers". In fact I load a few different "paper punchers" for my hunting rifles. I have yet to read a thread comparing 180VLD hunting and 180 hybrid target bullets concerning terminal ballistics.

Last edited:
Youngbuck,I use both the 168 & 180 7mm hunting VLD and they perform excellently on game and are quite accurate. They are designed to penetrate about 2" then start opening up and leave an exit wound about the size of a major league hardball or a little bigger. I do know of shooters using the target VLD's for hunting and they say that they have had no problems and this is shooting Antelope to Elk. The question is what if the jacket just doesn't open then you would have wounded game probably lost and the difference if any in accurracy is washed out by lost game. I would stick to the hunting VLD for game and you may find out that they are as accurate or even more so than the target version in some cases. Just my .02 though.

I have been pleased with the 180g Hunting VLDs. They work as advertised.

I asked about the 30cal Hybrid for hunting and I beleive Bryan Litz himself replied and recommended against it.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.