7mm Berger 180gr VLD's...Build Ideas???

Either a custom action or a trued up 700 in a blued version.

Hart 9twist diamond fluted #4

Hs precision black with red webbing

Topped with night force 5.5x22x50 with. .885 rings and a 40moa base.

Leave barrel polished in the white.

I built one for a customer in a 300rum and I thought it turned putt beautiful and shot well. I got parts coming for one in a 6.5stw and a 7stw both will be identical. Im giving one to dad but that setup has been my favorite so far.

Just checked gunwerks site and its called there LR-CARBON. with a titanium action and muzzle break it costs (with nightforce scope and the whole shabang) $8550

You said price wasn't an issue!

A great suggestion. However, I have a well know smith who lives about a hour from me who has built me several rifles and I will not send my business anywhere else. The Carbon barrel has been passed around as a option.

Jon

7-375 Roger would have the power but definitely put a brake on that rig.

My mountain gun is a T3 Lite in 270wsm. It weighs in at 8 pounds with a Viper 6.5-20x44. Without a brake the 165 Matrix loads are punishing.

If I did it again I would have gone with a 7mm round.

9lbs is a bit much. I am thinking 7-8lbs max. My smith has given me some ideas on components but just like everyone he has his own opinions on what he likes and I am trying to stay away from some of my normal builds. Hence the reason for asking the opinions of those here on LRH.

Thanks for the input. I have thought about the 7mm SAUM and the 168's. I like that combo of power and bullet weight.

Jon

My wife shoots a Forbes UL rifle model 24 in 280AI 25 1/2" Kreiger barrel 280AI scoped it weight right at 7lbs.

I got two new rifles last year 284 and 280AI both have 27" barrels and there pretty nice balance rifles @ 8 3/4 lbs scoped. I wanted BDL on both rifles so that got me alittle heavier and I was lucky gunsmith is close by so I got to handle the rifles in all the stages of the build so afew things got changed. Well good luck

i am building a 7 mag mountain rifle right now.
700 long action
benchmarck #1 countour
custom brake
Bell and carlson Mountain Ti stock
everything fluted and skeletonized as much as possible
Greybull PHO scope

Hoping for 6.5lbs with scope.

...I was lucky gunsmith is close by so I got to handle the rifles in all the stages of the build so afew things got changed...

It is always very nice to live within an hour or so of your gunsmith so you can make any changes as the build is taking place. When we go to pick our rifles up we almost always think its the perfect rifle, only to figure out sometimes that we wish that we had changed something... and after it is built - change usually means alot more money and more time for your rifle to spend at the gunsmith instead of hunting with you.

To the OP, I would go with a 7mm Rem Mag. Lots of case capacity for what you want to do with it, not so much recoil that you can't deal with it and in a pinch over the counter bullets are pretty much everywhere (if your handloads get lost by the airline...it happens). Muzzle brake with a #4 contour barrel-fluted for weight reduction, light weight stock and you'll be pretty close to your target weight. Either the winchester or the remington action is a great choice along with a jewell trigger. And as I am sure you already know, don't skimp on the glass. Save weight elsewhere but don't just buy a scope because it meets your weight restrictions.

Good luck on your build and let us know what you decide to go with, BK gun)

24" lilja 1-9 twist(they have all different types of contours and will custom make you one also if they don't presently have what you want), nightforce 5.5-20x50, as far as the stock... what ever you like in your weight range.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.