180 Elite Hunter vs 190 VLD?

ImBillT

Looking for folks who have shot game with either or both. I'd love to know what cartridge, twist and range you used as well.

I've only shot one deer with the 180gr Elite Hunter. That particular bullet tumbled instead of fragmenting the way Bergers usually do. The impact angle was a little steep, and it was shot from a 12" twist 308Win at 2650fps. I'm not sure exactly what caused the issue. Beyond that I've been very pleased with Bergers. I've shoot a number of deer and elk with 190VLDs from both a 308Win and 30-06AI and been very pleased.

The 180 Elite Hunter definitely offers a meaningful level of drop and drift advantage over the 190VLD and it's possible that my issue was related to shooting the 180 Elite from a 12" twist and low velocity. If the consensus seems to be that it's a good bullet, I'll give it a whirl in the 30-06AI.

No experience with the 180 but the 195 EOL Elite Hunter in .284 is an awesome hunting bullet. I have taken at least 3 Nilgai with it out of an 28 Nosler and had great results each time.

I used the 180 EH in a 11.25 twist 30-06 a few years back on a WT. Not long range, maybe 60 yards. Didn't go far. Behind the shoulder, insides were typical fragements. Don't remember seeing an exit.

Resulted in this…
IMG_1852.jpeg

I used the 180 EH in a 11.25 twist 30-06 a few years back on a WT. Not long range, maybe 60 yards. Didn't go far. Behind the shoulder, insides were typical fragements. Don't remember seeing an exit.

Resulted in this…View attachment 562885
That's exactly what I wanna hear. 190VLDs haven't exited very often. Just Berger soup in the chest cavity and hardly a step after the shot.

I suspect my issue with the 180 Elite was related to not quite enough twist. I just wanted to double check before taking them hunting since the 190 VLD's have treated me so well.

That's exactly what I wanna hear. 190VLDs haven't exited very often. Just Berger soup in the chest cavity and hardly a step after the shot.

I suspect my issue with the 180 Elite was related to not quite enough twist. I just wanted to double check before taking them hunting since the 190 VLD's have treated me so well.
I am still shooting the 180 out of my 7rum and I am sure you are correct in that you don't have enough twist. My Rum is a 9.5 twist and using the Berger twist calculator I did not get that bullet stability until it reached over 3000fps with that twist. I am at 3100 with it now.
Go to berger web sight and you their twist calculator. I don't see how you are stable with any of those rifles...
But All guns are different...
It would be worth a look for you though

In 30 cal you are fine with a 12 twist.

Berger twist calculator shows your set up being marginally stable which is actually better than I thought it would be.
Must be the difference between my 180 being g a 7mm and the 308 of yours but still could be a big part of the issue

My only experience is with the 7mm 195 EDL Elite Hunter, and they have been fantastic from my 28 Nosler on whitetail and elk. Shot elk out to almost 900, and watched them die, whitetail well past 500, and the same. I've shot plenty of deer up close with no issues whatsoever. When I first got the rifle, I shot a doe at a little less than 200 yards and the exit wound was one of the biggest I've ever seen. Bullet entered behind the shoulder, exited through the ribs, and it was something else. I have never lost an animal with these bullets and have taken I don't know how many as we have very liberal bag limits on doe in Oklahoma, and Kansas wants to keep their herd thinned as well; I'm happy to oblige and keep my freezer full.

Berger twist calculator shows your set up being marginally stable which is actually better than I thought it would be.
Must be the difference between my 180 being g a 7mm and the 308 of yours but still could be a big part of the issue
Yes and the 190VLD is more stable than the 180 Elite. I've had nothing but good results from the 190VLD. I'm not certain if marginal stability was the issue with the 180 Elite or not.

Last edited:
I've never tried the 180 Elite so I can't comment on it. I do have some experience with the 190 VLD. My .308 will shoot them into one hole for as long as I do my part. Not all that fast, but one hole is one hole. That same bullet in my 300WM doesn't quite shoot a one hole group but they kill stuff like a big ol' lightning bolt.