Accubond vs. VLD

rolly

First elk hunt (cow tag), gonna use either 6.5/284 or 7mm Rem Mag. Opinions on
using 140gr AB or VLD in 6.5/284 or 140 AB or 168 VLD in 7mm (assuming accuracy is equal in all rounds), which would you use?

Rolly

Hi rolly,

Have you seen Tyson's Leal's post? He's put some serious hurt on huge boars with his 6.5x284.

Both of your rifles will kill elk. So my advice is to use the one you're most comfortable.

My suggestion is to use the 7mm mag with the heavier bullet. If you can get 160 AB's those will do a great job. If it will shoot the 180 VLD's then you might try them. I have killed a deer and antelope with that bullet this year and it will do the job on a elk. The 140's in the .26 caliber will certainly kill elk. The .28 calibers are just a bit better at doing it. If you look at Broz's comments on this forum you'll see he thinks the .30 caliber and up are best in his opinion. The smaller the bullet the more perfect the position the elk should be in. I would not want to lose an elk.
In contrast a friend of mine has killed over 50 elk with a .270 and 130 gr partitions. Use what you can shoot well and put the bullet where it counts. Bruce

I've seen and killed a lot of elk with these combinations and I'd shoot a 6.5x284 and a 140 VLD, not a huge Accubond fan unless you get a lot of bullet behind the mushroom to keep it rolling, seen quite a number of them stop short on heavy hits because they can't get rid of the wide frontal area to keep penetrating.
I know more guys shooting the 6.5x284 with a 140 Berger one elk than I do a 7 Mag right now, they just do a great job with mellow recoil and better manners.

What is the max yardage an opportunity may present itself? I wouldn't hesitate with either to 500, however will echo the previous comments, if using a 7 Rem Mag, I'd get a box of the 168's to try or the new Hornady 162 ELD-X. At the end of the day, whatever you are the most comfortable with gets my vote.

Max range for this hunt 400yds. Could shot further but no need to. I can get as close as necessary. Haven't shot an elk yet but my 308 Accubonds have straight dropped ALL deer I have shot with them. Got the new gun (6.5/284) and really wanted it to be THE gun. That said I prefer to straight drop a critter and have heard the are extremely tough and one shot may not always do it. I just have ZERO experience with the caliber or bullet. The 7mm I have been using Hornady Superformance 139gr GMX and they have also done a great job on big northern whitetails.

So if I can shoot where it needs to be, seems like the 7mm 168gr VLD is getting the nod over the accubonds and the whole 6.5/284, correct?

I would suggest getting the idea of just dropping elk out of your mind until you get some under your belt, I see more wounded elk because guys are trying to just drop them but don't know the anatomy or shot placement for it. Elk are not hard to kill but they are a heavy animal that can decide to live longer than you want, a 7 mag with a 140 gr class bullet would not be on my list regardless of bullet type, even 168's I would be careful with, your weight to frontal area is too great from a light 7mm bullet. The 6.5 140 Berger is a good penetrating bullet that opens well enough to do some serious damage when placed behind the shoulder which is what you need for elk, don't try to pull of a video production shot cause they fail more times than many will admit on elk, deer you'll straight up pole axe them and elk will drop then in a few minutes their back up and then they can get hard to kill.
Shot placement trumps everything on elk, to just straight up power down an elk takes some major fire power or precise placement severing the spine.

If you want the 6.5x284 to be THE rifle, then make it your rifle and get comfy behind it between now and then. Every new rifle needs to get it's first blood. You should get 2950 fps plus with the 140's, and they are heavy for caliber weight which is going to give you a nice high SD. They will absolutely do the trick. Especially at your distance. But, I second don't worry about dropping in it's tracks. Shoot right behind the shoulder and you won't be walking far at all. I too have seen high shoulder shots go bad. I would have zero concerns using that on an elk for your range. Good luck, and enjoy those tenderloins.

Yep. A nice big hole all the way through the lungs is the right medicine. Best advice I was ever given on elk. If it is not on the ground shoot it again. I will ad to that and say if it is on the ground keep your eye on it and make sure it stays on the ground. I have seen them on the ground then get up without the shooter being ready. This did not end well. The shots that I am most leery of are the ones that the elk drops on the shot. When you can see them stagger and tip over, you are in business. Twice I have seen big bulls drop on the shot, get up and stagger a bit then run off, never to be seen again. I am pretty sure they were hit near the spine but without enough damage to break it. Crease or just under but above the lungs. Just center the lungs and all will go well.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.