178 Amaxes in a 300 WM?.......

Reloader

Have any of you tried the 178grn .308 Amax in your 300 WM?

How do they compare in length (baring surface) to a 180 MK. The MKs are so short I can barely get them in the case (~1/8" of the baring surface) when close to the lands. I'm seating them about 3/16" in the case and getting nice groups.

I haven't seen the Amaxes here locally so, I'm not sure of there dimensions.

How do you Amax shooters like their accuracy?

Thanks,

Reloader

I have shot the 155gr Amax as well as the 105gr 6mm Amax and have had nothing but good results with them , the 105's don't care for the speed like the SMK do but they shoot little groups just as well.

I have heard some guys say thet they are very inconsistant when measured but i haven't seen any of this yet.

If your looking to shoot heavier bullets in your 300 why don't you give the 190gr or 220gr SMK's a try you should be able to seat them out to the lands and with the experiance I have had with them the 180gr SMK's just diden't work to well for me , the 175's have a better BC and I can shoot hem faster and the 190's have alot better BC and can shoot them almost as fast

JDJones,

I just happen to have alittle over 300 of the 180s on hand. I'm breaking in a new barrel and the 180s are shooting 1/2" and alittle better at 100 but, like I said, I'm having to seat them further from the lands than I care for.

I have considered the 190s and it probably wont be long til' I give them a whirl. I saw the amaxes on sale the other day in one of my catalogs so, I thought about giving them a try. Just not sure how long they are (bearing surface wise) compared to the MKs.

Thanks,

Reloader

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.