17 wsm

Shot my 17 wsm over the weekend.
First I shot the junk Winchester ammo.
Then I tried the federal American 20 gr.
I was making 50 cent piece groups at 100 yards and consistently hitting a soda can at 200 yards
In fact there was no scope adjustment from 100 to 200.
I have a first gen Savage wsm that is pretty much hated
Now I did put it in a boyds tacticool stock floated with a barrel dampener
I couldn't put it down . I even had my cz 527 22 varmit. Never shot it.
I'm in love again.
I have read accounts of barrel dampener improvements and was wondering up until now if they really add that much as for accuracy. I am pleased to see they do improve some rifles.

Perhaps I won't need one, depending on how well my rifle shoots after some range time since my overhaul of the BMAG. The rifle shot pretty good groups before the work on it. But I had to be careful of what part of the forearm was rested. :(

I tricked out my first model Savage '93 and it is a safe queen after I purchased my .17 WSM as soon as they hit the stores.

Old Hickory 45, I finally got a little range time in. Put a good scope on it, a NF . The day was terrible! Windy, the bench I had to use was set up wrong for my needs, and I could not get a good focus at 50 yds.
BUT, I bore sighted it, and here's the rest of the shoot story. In the picture, you can find the 1st shot way left. I adj. the windage and elev. and next shot is the far left shot in upper group. Made a slight adj. and put the 4 others in that group. Going down the page, I zeroed and aimed at bottom dark rings. I called the high left shot. Pretty sure it will continue to improve, but I'm really happy with this 1st time out!

Attachments

• 0616210956.jpg
    0616210956.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 96
I have two both Savages a pencil barrel one and a bull barrel one, I got the pencil barrel one when they first came out I put a boyd stock on it and it is really light to carry into the woods.
The pencil one is actually more accurate for the first few shots, which is all you need when you are varmint hunting. I find the barrel on the bull one is to heavy for the 17 WSM My Ruger 10/22 loaded with stingers is still my favorate rimfire and with magazines from 10 rounds to 110 "not a typo" how can you go wrong.

Dean

Scope-eye, that's an awesome rig! I bought a Ruger 77 in 17 WSM when they first came out. Put a new stock and re-bedded it. It was the only rifle I shot for two of the four days I was whackin prairie dogs! Now I will take it and the new Ruger # 1 this next week. Along with some other shootin irons. Can hardly wait ! Wasn't able to last year, and Abel says the towns we will go to are FULL of em!

Scope-eye, that's an awesome rig! I bought a Ruger 77 in 17 WSM when they first came out. Put a new stock and re-bedded it. It was the only rifle I shot for two of the four days I was whackin prairie dogs! Now I will take it and the new Ruger # 1 this next week. Along with some other shootin irons. Can hardly wait ! Wasn't able to last year, and Abel says the towns we will go to are FULL of em!
Old Hickory 45, I finally got a little range time in. Put a good scope on it, a NF . The day was terrible! Windy, the bench I had to use was set up wrong for my needs, and I could not get a good focus at 50 yds.
BUT, I bore sighted it, and here's the rest of the shoot story. In the picture, you can find the 1st shot way left. I adj. the windage and elev. and next shot is the far left shot in upper group. Made a slight adj. and put the 4 others in that group. Going down the page, I zeroed and aimed at bottom dark rings. I called the high left shot. Pretty sure it will continue to improve, but I'm really happy with this 1st time out!
Yeah on happy! Think of what your rifle will do during nice weather!

My overhaul of my BMAG turned out great too. I was lucky to have a nice day to test my work.

My aim was to improve the factory flimsy plastic stock and add the Glades Armory bolt handle for scope clearance and clarity.

When I bought the rifle, the stock was too short so the cheap fix was one of those black slip on shotgun type recoil pads that added exactly an inch length.

I'm not going into detail of the bedding but it was simple and certainly ended with great results. The rifle retained its light carry and the stock is now solid and the barrel is and stays centered in the stiffened forearm.

When I changed out the scope on the rifle with a new Burris it was obvious the factory bolt handle would hardly clear the scope. I replaced the bolt handle with a Glades Armory bolt handle. The longer Glades adds a lot more leverage.