17 wsm

hammer111

Shot my 17 wsm over the weekend.
First I shot the junk Winchester ammo.
Then I tried the federal American 20 gr.
I was making 50 cent piece groups at 100 yards and consistently hitting a soda can at 200 yards
In fact there was no scope adjustment from 100 to 200.
I have a first gen Savage wsm that is pretty much hated
Now I did put it in a boyds tacticool stock floated with a barrel dampener
I couldn't put it down . I even had my cz 527 22 varmit. Never shot it.
I'm in love again.

Attachments

• 457Varmint-1024x682.png
    457Varmint-1024x682.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 151
B23 is absolutely correct. BTW, I have a Ruger 77 in 17WSM. Barrel and action are only parts Ruger. New MPI stock, later fully bedded, trigger job done. Shoots the 20s better than I can.
But wait..I have a Ruger #1 that is being re-barreled to the 17 WSM ! Yep, a rimfire #1. I had it done in 1992 as a .22 rimfire magnum. At the time I liked the magot, and 17 WSM wasn't a twinking in the eye of Winchester, much less Ruger. Lilja is getting the barrel done and Jack Keister in Harrisonburg,Va. is putting it on,etc. Can hardly wait to get it! Has a beautiful English exhibition walnut stock and Jack will ceracoat the barrel a bright "blue" like a blued barrel to match the receiver. Jack is an accuracy nut so I'm sure it won't leave his hands till he approves of its accuracy. My fingers are crossed it loves to 20 gr. pills (like the 77) as I have a ton of them! LOL.

I have a first model Savage skinny barreled .17 WSM BMAG with the factory flimsy stock. I added an inch length to the stock and bedded it. I also added two 3/16" threaded rods to the forearm to stiffen it. Then I added a Glades Armory bolt handle and a Burris 3X-9X scope.

Now all I need is some range time. The rifle had good accuracy before the work but it depended upon where the forearm was rested, it being so flimsy. I certainly cured the flimsy problem.

I bedded the stock with Brownell's Acra Glas and used a 'net suggestion of using neutral colored shoe polish for release agent and it works perfect. I have used the Acra Glass in my knife shop for over 30 years and use no other epoxy.

The reason for overhauling the stock is I enjoy the light carry of the rifle. It's main use is for tree squirrel hunting and an occasional varmint.

Old Hickory, It's been so long ago I'm not positive , but I believe I hand picked and bought the blanks (yes, several) from a dealer in Calif. Most likely, I sent them to Bullberry Gunworks for shaping and fitting. This rifle started, from Bullberry, as a .22 Mag. I can only guess that Bullberry made that barrel for it. Years later, now, I decided to re-barrel it in my new Fav chambering, the 17 WSM by Jack Keister Custom Rifles in Harrisonburg,Va. He got his friend, Carson Lilja to profile their barrel to fit the forend. Then Jack did all the other work, which he did very, very well!
I have shot it, but have yet to zero and see how good it shoots. I think I'll be happy with the results.