168 gr. Hornday HPBT

Spinnerbaitslinger

I want to create a long range load for my .30-06 and i have a whole box of the 168 gr. HPBT by Hornady. Has anybody tried these? How were they? What did/didn't you like about them?

Your input would be appreciated
Thank you

- Spinnerbaitslinger

I run them in my 06, I have them touching the lands using 59.5grns H4350, CCI BR2 primers in Winchester brass, they usually shoot in the .2-.4" range at 100yrds, just use them for hunting after that, but it is pretty easy to smack a 12" piece of steel at 600yrds. That load runs 2940fps with an ES of 8 from a 24" barrel.

That sounds like a **** good load! I just started load development at 54.0 grains of IMR 4350 working up in .5 grain increments with O.A.L. 3.230" the old Mauser doesn't like hot loads.

I have used Imr4350 it works great as well, found a good load at 58.5grns, but the extreme spread was over 20. But both of those are hot for a small ring mauser, but should be fine in a LR 98.

I use Imr4895 under a 175smk in my 308 to duplicate the bravo 51 load, but I have heard its very accurate in a 30-06 but tunes it down to 308 levels, H380, H414, Varget, and Imr4064 are good choices as well, 4064 with a mid level load will likely give you the best results for what your trying to accomplish.

I am not sure if you intend to develope a long range load for hunting or targets. But beware...Hornady does not recommend this bullet for hunting. Do some expansion/penetration tests before you use this bullet for hunting.

Backwoods. I'll have to pick up some 4064 and give it a try. Also, i wouldn't be upset if my o6 had the inherent accuracy of the 308 but lacked its usual power.

Hornady doesn't recommend them for hunting, but there jacket is ridculously similar to the Berger hybrids, they work fine as long as impact velocity is >1700fps. I shot the shell of o water heater at 200 yards with the 178grn version from a 300wsm, backside looked like an exit from 00 buckshot.

These are my match bullets in .308 (sorry, not 30-06). I couldn't see any precision difference with Sierra SMKs and they are quite cheaper considering the volume I shoot. I put them on top of IMR4895, 42gn in winter, 41.5gn in spring/Fall and 41gn for Summer days like today. That gives me a consistant MV of 2,500fps which gives me the best results. For hunting, I've heard from some people that the 168gn A-Max gives them good results for long-range deer hunting. Never tried it myself but I know from range testing that the A-Max ballistics is pretty similar to the HPBT.
FWIW

I run them in my 06, I have them touching the lands using 59.5grns H4350, CCI BR2 primers in Winchester brass, they usually shoot in the .2-.4" range at 100yrds, just use them for hunting after that, but it is pretty easy to smack a 12" piece of steel at 600yrds. That load runs 2940fps with an ES of 8 from a 24" barrel.
I'd run that or 57 of I 4350 for about the same speed. The speed and ex sprd will vary a bit between rifles(I've had 3-don't own one at present) but the accuracy should be there.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.