167 gr. LAPUA SCENAR WHO USES THEM?

Sargesniper

Maybe posted this question in the wrong place. So I will ask here. Cannot remember reading about anyone shooting this bullet. Wonder if it is worth trying in a .308 1-12 tw. Rem 700. I know in fact their 6.5mm's shoot very well in a .260. Anyone shoot this or has shot it? Your comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Not of much help but I HAVE a box, but have yet to send any down range. Everyone was out of 155s when I was in the market. I've searched around asking the same question you did and couldn't find much info or load data. Lapua and Hodgdon responded some data but I'd have to dig it up. Seems like Hodgdon said just base it off 168SMK and start low as usual. I thought the bearing surface was a good bit longer than the SMKs though.

Not of much help but I HAVE a box, but have yet to send any down range. Everyone was out of 155s when I was in the market. I've searched around asking the same question you did and couldn't find much info or load data. Lapua and Hodgdon responded some data but I'd have to dig it up. Seems like Hodgdon said just base it off 168SMK and start low as usual. I thought the bearing surface was a good bit longer than the SMKs though.
Thanks, I went over to 24 hr. Campsite and found lots of talk about how good they were on game up to ELK but not 1 person with load data. What's the big secret? If I find a good load I will post it.
Guess I am going to do as I did with SF and the .260. Forge ahead on my own.
I see where PV has them in stock so I will be ordering 1000 of them. I know I will be able to get them to shoot in either my .308's or 30/06.
Sometime it is frustrating to ask a question and get no answer. Seems like I am surrounded and no help in sight. Oh well that's the way it is and there is nothing we can do about it. Might try reading more and asking less. Might work, who knows?
Going to try load data from Sierra. That's always been a good place to start for me.
Thank for your reply. ... LARRY

I worked up to 56.5g R-17 or 59.2g URP with the 167g. I'm .004" shorter than the magazine of my Winchester 70 .30/06. CCI benchrest primer, nosler brass. The R-17 runs 2880 and URP runs 2884. I developed the R-17 load when URP got really scarce a couple years ago. Either loading is good for 1/2" groups at 200 from my rifle.
The 155 I got to 58g of R-17 and 61g of URP and never got better than 1" @ 100.

I worked up to 56.5g R-17 or 59.2g URP with the 167g. I'm .004" shorter than the magazine of my Winchester 70 .30/06. CCI benchrest primer, nosler brass. The R-17 runs 2880 and URP runs 2884. I developed the R-17 load when URP got really scarce a couple years ago. Either loading is good for 1/2" groups at 200 from my rifle.
The 155 I got to 58g of R-17 and 61g of URP and never got better than 1" @ 100.
That's not too encouraging for me. I would have thought at least 1/2" would be the norm. I was kind of playing with the idea to give my son a .308 to hunt Colorado Elk and Mule Deer with and load the 155's up to 2850 here. It should be around 2900 at the elev. he will be hunting. The accuracy is a concern for me. My rifles shoot very well with the 168 Berger and 168 SMK. Velocity is an issue with a .308 in any bullet weight for big game hunting. Might just try 100 of the 155's to see how they run before buying 1000 of them. I'm pushing 2700 with the 26" barrel and a 168 Berger. Thanks for the info. on 30/06. Did you speed check the 155? Might have to try mine out with them.
..... LARRY

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts