162 A-max vs. 160 Accubond

srhaggerty

I have got a buddy that is trying to pick a good deer hunting bullet for shooting 100 to 500 yards. I would appreciate your pick and why one over the other.. Thanks.

If it's just deer, go w/the 162 amax. Much higher BC. But then again if he's only going to be shooting 500 yds, that higher bc won't help him as much as it would further down range. If he loads the accubond he will have a catch all load and could use it for just about anything on this continent.

srhaggerty, what velocity can you shoot these bullets at? I would be concerned about the AMAX peformance at high velocity and close range.

I have this very same dilemma, I shoot 7MM RUMs.

Which of those bullets would you guys recommend at 7MM RUM velocity? Shots could be from 25 yards to 500 yards ...

Then, something else to consider is that the 140 Accubond out of a 7MM RUM shoots like a laser at those distances and has plenty of energy to kill deer sized game ....

this is comparing apples and oranges, the A-Max is a thin skinned target-varmint bullet and the accubond is a bonded big game bullet. if you are only shooting to 500 yds on white tail varmints try the 168gr Berger it has the best B.C.in its class and shoots more accurate in the guns I own than any hornady.
UB

If impact velocity is going to be over 2800fps, I would not suggest the Amax for anything other then broadside. It will come apart.

I am shooting a 7RM. For close shots, I will be using the 162gr SST. For my longer shots, I switch to the Amax. In my rifle, both bullets shoot in the same line but to different elevation.

I just adjust using my scope for the bullet and range I am shooting.

I have used the Interlocks and SSTs for all my hunting and they have never failed to impress me with their accuracy, expansion and penetration. The SST will have no issue surviving a 3000fps impact and making big damage on your game.

I have yet to recover an Interlock/SST.

Jerry

I apologize for leaving out the imparative details. It is a 7RM. I am not a 7RM shooter so I don't know what velocities you can obtain with 160 grain bullet.

I dont really think it will matter what bullet you use, there both gonna thump deer at close or long range. As stated, the AB is gonna hold together at 100 yards better then the AMAX, but I'm pretty sure the AMAX will still put that deer down at 100 yards. If not, it probly wearing a flak jacket of some sort. I would just buy both, and shoot them out to 500 yards to see which is more accurate. I dont really see any advantages in using target bullets unless the range is about 600-700 yards. The AB's and BTips are amazingly accurate out to 500-600 yards. I have on record a 1.5" 3 shot group at 525 yards with my factory rem LSS in 300 RUM with the 200g AB. Tell me a target bullet would do better then that.

Hi Jerry,

What type of accuracy have you been getting with Interbonds? I've not got my loads worked up yet 'cause I was having some work done on the rifle, but I've got 180's (Interbonds and SST's) for my 300 WM.

I read some reports of so-so accuracy after I bought them and I was a little disappointed, so I'm pleased to see you are happy.

I'm in South Africa and for some or other reason guys here like to claim that even our antelope are thicker skinned than North American game (I know the people here have thicker skins, but I believe it less about the game as we are warmer too). Because of that I've been wary of A-Max / SMK's etc on game.

So I'm really hoping that the Interbonds work for me. I'll check out Accubonds too, but the Hornadys are priced much keener than the Noslers.

Thanks for any input.

WL

All of the Hornady poly tipped bullets have shot very well for me. Both the SST and interbond are almost as good as match bullets. Amazing considering their intended purpose.

As long as impact velocities are not over 3000fps, I sincerely doubt that any grass eater is going to 'bounce' a bullet. Certainly a light bullet 30cal is not a dangerous grass eater combo but more then enough for any game up to moose in size.

I would say Canadian deer have thicker hides/fur and more fat to shoot through then typical African deer. I really don't think a gazelle would last too long in minus 25C winters.

The slower they hit, the more penetration they will give you. I have found ideal impact velocity to be around 2300 to 2600fps. At this speed, I have had SST's travel through a lot of mule deer (measured in several feet) and give nice large exit wounds. Break bone not too bad if need be.

They are not for the bone breaking hunter, especially at close range and high impact velocities. You would be better served with the Barnes and similar.

But for the boiler room hunter, they work extremely well.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts