160 7mm Tipped matchking TMK ?

Longshotjames

Is anyone using them? What type of accuracy out of what gun?
I am looking for a LR varmint load in my 7rem. Would love to hear from someone who has punched fur with these!
Thanks
James

Sierra's tests of that bullet are 1/2 MOA max 10-shot groups at 200 yards; average 1/3 MOA or better. They full length size all unprepped cases and meter powder to about a 3/10ths grain spread. A well built rifle with all the right stuff will shoot as well when perfectly aimed and fired.

Made a quick range run today with the T3 7rem and the 160TMK seating the bullets .003 off the lands produced these with H1000 at 100meters. I hope to fine tune and get chrono speeds but this at least tells me they will work with my gun. I hope I'll get to test them in a critter this month too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:
Chrono speed today with 160tmk in front of 71gr H1000 produced MV of 2,986fps

Fun side note it penetrated a 10in telephone pole expanding with lots of fragments and the core and jacket stayed intact.(I have a stack of poles as a backstop)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 427
Got to punch a soft target last week with my 7rem using the 160TMK
Distance was 710yds w a impact velocity about 2050fps
Shot met perfect in the shoulder exiting just behind. Good expansion with Golfball size exit. The heart was hit dead center severing the bottom half completely off. Crazy thing was that the bottom half of the heart was sucked out the exit hole and left laying on the ground at point of impact! The TMK preformed great!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 398
Got to punch a soft target last week with my 7rem using the 160TMK
Distance was 710yds w a impact velocity about 2050fps
Shot met perfect in the shoulder exiting just behind. Good expansion with Golfball size exit. The heart was hit dead center severing the bottom half completely off. Crazy thing was that the bottom half of the heart was sucked out the exit hole and left laying on the ground at point of impact! The TMK preformed great!

That is awesome to hear. You're the first I've read of using these on game, originally they said the tmk would pencil.

I'd like to see the terminal performance on a lung shot or even gut shot.

That is awesome to hear. You're the first I've read of using these on game, originally they said the tmk would pencil.

I'd like to see the terminal performance on a lung shot or even gut shot.

According to the description on midway: "TMK is not recommended for hunting anything larger than varmints"

I hope that means they are very fast expanding and they will open consistently. Most of the Texas game I will shoot long range is small in compared to elk and whitetail further north.

I plan to keep trying them and will report here w results
James

I've got plenty of Bergers to shoot now but when they're gone I've been on the fence about either giving the Sierra 160 TMK or the 183 SMK a try.

Awesome to see that you had good luck on game with the TMK. Thanks for sharing the info.

160gr TMK 7rem mag T3
Muzzle 2980fps

450yds Impact vel 2350

Just behind shoulder right below spine. Maybe not a perfect shot but very effective "hurry up" shot. Hit no bones but got decent expansion DRT

It was nice to watch him fall!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 350
160gr TMK 7rem mag T3
Muzzle 2980fps

450yds Impact vel 2350

Just behind shoulder right below spine. Maybe not a perfect shot but very effective "hurry up" shot. Hit no bones but got decent expansion DRT

It was nice to watch him fall!

So you did recover that bullet ,right?
Did you get pics of the bullet?

So you did recover that bullet ,right?
Did you get pics of the bullet?

NO, the bullet left a few fragments but exited!

Sorry I didnt include that info. It entered just behind the front shoulder below the spine and exited angling back towards the last rib. It broke 2 ribs on the way out. no bullet recovery

Shot Milk jugs today at 525yds and 740yds. Hit them both on the first shot.

The 525 jug, I hit the right side of the jug exploding the right side off of the jug and sent the jug shooting 10ft left!

I hit the 740yd jug dead center exploding it large enough I was able to come off the scope and see a vapor mist with my naked eye. Sorry I didnt get any pics of these jugs but they were violently shredded showing nice signs of expansion.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts