155 Yard Called Coyote

Double Naught Spy

Well, calving season has started and the landowner asked that I keep an eye out for coyotes, not that coyotes are ever off the radar. I know there seems to be some mixed opinions on how much of a threat coyotes are to cattle. I spoke at some length about this with the landowner and he said for 10 months out of the year, they really aren't a threat, but during calving, they are and that is when he usually sees them in daylight, mixed with the cattle and going after his calves. So I started out the evening calling coyotes. Well after not being successful of getting a coyote in close, I tried to call in hogs and that is when I managed to bring in a coyote close enough to shoot.

[ame]https://youtu.be/GgKYnt2E3Tw[/ame]

Every year during calving season I kill coyotes that are looking for an easy meal. So far I have only killed two but in the past I have killed doubles when I had as many as four of them sitting and watching the calves, waiting for their chance. I would upload pictures but it appears I am not doing something right in my attempts to do so.

I had some guys debating with me about whether the coyotes are after the calves or more after the afterbirth. Then I found an article that talked about how many calves are lost to coyotes in Montana each year. Regardless of their ultimate goal, the landowner wants them to not bother his cattle and he has watched them chasing his calves. So the coyotes are a serious target right now.

IMG_2106.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

I've killed these on the same 80 acre farm in about 2 1/2 weeks. All since the cows started calving.

Attachments

• IMG_2025.jpg
    IMG_2025.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 84
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.