153gr Apex Afterburner .308 bullet

yorke-1

I posted some of this up on my bullet testing thread but thought I'd start a separate one for this bullet to give a little more detail. I'm not affiliated with Apex Outdoors in any way, I was just sent a couple of these bullets to test alongside all the others that I'm shooting into the ballistics gel and posting about in my other thread. They're not available yet and the ones I have are pre-production versions which are a little different than the final versions, so my results in the gel blocks aren't 100% in line with what the finished bullet will do.

Here's a link to the Apex Outdoors website:

The bullet is a tipped, solid copper, high BC, hunting bullet intended to work in standard (1:10" twist) barrels. Here's the 153gr Afterburner next to a 185gr Berger VLD, and a 215gr Berger Hybrid.
RIgjyGF.jpg

I haven't had a ton of time to play with them yet, but so far I really like them. I shot them in a 300 RUM which has proven to be the pickiest gun I've ever let stay in the safe. I took the info provided on the manufacturer's website and used load data for a 150gr Barnes TTSX as a starting point. I ended up picking a charge of 95.5gr of RL 26 with the bullet seated to the grove, as recommended on their site. This is what I got:
TR1LtfF.jpg

I didn't do any group shooting on the first trip out and was just interested in shooting them into the gel at close range. Here's the video of the shots to the gel blocks.

88l58Fn.jpg

aPfvwyB.jpg

Of the 3 shots I fired into the gel, I only recovered 1 of the shanks. I didn't have enough blocks lined up the first time, the second shot bounced out between two of the blocks, but I caught the third bullet. The shank weighed 110.0gr and the total weight of the shank and petals I found weighed 128.8gr The fragments all traveled in a straight path with the shank for 14-20"
PUcDOtN.jpg

0kTOGI5.jpg

I had a chance on Sunday to try shooting them again the plan was to zero the rifle and shoot them out to 500 yards and measure the bullet drop. I did get the rifle zeroed from a "questionable" back woods rest setup, but the group was one of the best groups this particular gun has shot in a very long time. I was going to setup to shoot for drops at 500 yards, but got distracted by a bear on the other side of the valley. I took off after the bear with the hopes of getting inside of 300 yards so I could just get a shot at him to really test the bullets, but I never got closer than 600 yards. I was kicking myself for not getting that drop data sooner! I'll get out again in the next few days to shoot at 500+ yards to get an idea where the BC is at for me and see how they do. I'll update this thread as I get more data on these.

It's too bad you didn't get a chance at that bear! It would be the first documented hair we have! Thanks for the kind words. We're glad these are working out well for you!

Mark

Do you have plans for a 6mm version?
Absolutely! That will come. We are a bit torn with which twist to release first. We recognize the proliferation of 1:10" twist barrels out there in the 243 Winchester, but certainly can't ignore the surge of popularity in the Creed version at 1:7.5". Both will be released eventually, but since that's staged probably for early next year, we will be listening to what customers prefer released first as the months progress.

Absolutely! That will come. We are a bit torn with which twist to release first. We recognize the proliferation of 1:10" twist barrels out there in the 243 Winchester, but certainly can't ignore the surge of popularity in the Creed version at 1:7.5". Both will be released eventually, but since that's staged probably for early next year, we will be listening to what customers prefer released first as the months progress.

Sounds good. I have 1/7, 1/8 and 1/10 so you make it, I'll buy it!

It's too bad you didn't get a chance at that bear! It would be the first documented hair we have! Thanks for the kind words. We're glad these are working out well for you!

Mark
I was really tempted to give it ago! I was crunching numbers in my head thinking that if I just held a little over the spine......

They look really nice. They all seem light for caliber
I had that same thought process a few years ago, but I'm slowly coming around. My personal preference was always a sectional density in the .250 range and up with lead core bullets. Since the monometal bullets behave differently than lead core one, I've been willing to adust my personal numbers a bit. I'm still not on board with the ultra light weight (under 130gr in the .30 cal) high velocity thing, but I won't deny that it's worked well for others. I'm just a sucker for a good exit wound on animals, and I feel like a little more bullet mass (within any specific bullet design) helps with that, all else being equal.

They look really nice. They all seem light for caliber
They're definitely lighter for caliber than what most are accustomed to seeing. That will be the case for the entire Afterburner line. Our FAQs section probably sums that up best for the specific reasoning behind the lighter weights. Rest assured, the weights listed for each caliber are the maximum possible for the twist rates listed and their respective minimum muzzle velocities. We do not design for a specific weight. We design for optimization within cartridge families. Where the weight falls, it falls, hence the somewhat random weights you see listed.

However, notice the penetration of the 153 gr prototype in the gel block, 40.5", at almost 3500 FPS impact speed. It would be difficult to find something matching that in testing at that impact velocity, short of a dangerous game solid. We've tuned the terminal performance for deep, traumatic penetration in spite of the lower weight. This ensures a "no compromise" scenario in relation to ballistics, both aerial and terminal.

I posted some of this up on my bullet testing thread but thought I'd start a separate one for this bullet to give a little more detail. I'm not affiliated with Apex Outdoors in any way, I was just sent a couple of these bullets to test alongside all the others that I'm shooting into the ballistics gel and posting about in my other thread. They're not available yet and the ones I have are pre-production versions which are a little different than the final versions, so my results in the gel blocks aren't 100% in line with what the finished bullet will do.

Here's a link to the Apex Outdoors website:

The bullet is a tipped, solid copper, high BC, hunting bullet intended to work in standard (1:10" twist) barrels. Here's the 153gr Afterburner next to a 185gr Berger VLD, and a 215gr Berger Hybrid.
RIgjyGF.jpg

I haven't had a ton of time to play with them yet, but so far I really like them. I shot them in a 300 RUM which has proven to be the pickiest gun I've ever let stay in the safe. I took the info provided on the manufacturer's website and used load data for a 150gr Barnes TTSX as a starting point. I ended up picking a charge of 95.5gr of RL 26 with the bullet seated to the grove, as recommended on their site. This is what I got:
TR1LtfF.jpg

I didn't do any group shooting on the first trip out and was just interested in shooting them into the gel at close range. Here's the video of the shots to the gel blocks.

88l58Fn.jpg

aPfvwyB.jpg

Of the 3 shots I fired into the gel, I only recovered 1 of the shanks. I didn't have enough blocks lined up the first time, the second shot bounced out between two of the blocks, but I caught the third bullet. The shank weighed 110.0gr and the total weight of the shank and petals I found weighed 128.8gr The fragments all traveled in a straight path with the shank for 14-20"
PUcDOtN.jpg

0kTOGI5.jpg

I had a chance on Sunday to try shooting them again the plan was to zero the rifle and shoot them out to 500 yards and measure the bullet drop. I did get the rifle zeroed from a "questionable" back woods rest setup, but the group was one of the best groups this particular gun has shot in a very long time. I was going to setup to shoot for drops at 500 yards, but got distracted by a bear on the other side of the valley. I took off after the bear with the hopes of getting inside of 300 yards so I could just get a shot at him to really test the bullets, but I never got closer than 600 yards. I was kicking myself for not getting that drop data sooner! I'll get out again in the next few days to shoot at 500+ yards to get an idea where the BC is at for me and see how they do. I'll update this thread as I get more data on these.

Absolutely! That will come. We are a bit torn with which twist to release first. We recognize the proliferation of 1:10" twist barrels out there in the 243 Winchester, but certainly can't ignore the surge of popularity in the Creed version at 1:7.5". Both will be released eventually, but since that's staged probably for early next year, we will be listening to what customers prefer released first as the months progress.ain't this interesting
Huh……… Very interesting