140gr VLD and 7-30 Waters

gamehauler

I have a TC Contender with a 15" Proshop barrel
chambered in 7-30 Waters and would like to try
Berger 140gr VLD's in it for Coues Whitetail.

Anyone doing any loading for this combo?

Thanks,
Mike

I shoot a T/C Carbine with a 21" barrel for Barbary Sheep in NM. After looking at the ballistics, I decided the 120 grain bullets gave better trajectory. Sheep country is even more open than Coues country. I had 3 good kills, but no pass through (for tracking if necessary) using standard bullets, so I switched to Barnes TTSX and got complete pass trough at 230 yards. It hit shoulder bone, so it dropped it in its tracks. That's what I was looking for. If you're interested in my load, let me know.

I used 168 gr. Berger bullets in my 7mm WSM (23" barrel) for elk this year and got the results advertised at 350 yards. The bull took about two steps and crashed down the mountain breaking antlers all the way (oh well). I like what Bergers do, but I still like the trajectory of the lighter bullets in the 7-30 Waters, as well as reduced kick in that ultra-light rifle. I think Berger may have developed the perfect bullet. Great accuracy, great ballistics, and deadly terminal performance.

If you find a good load, let me know, and I may try it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.