14.9 SOP blog is up and running strong

Anything new happening?

I wanted to resurrect this thread with a LONG over due update.

The first action we had was not heat treated properly, so we had to have Dave Viers anneal, and the re-heat treat the action. In our initial testing we actually had our bolt lugs compressed because of the poor heat treat.

We got the action back 6 months or so later, and found out the original chamber was cut horribly. There were actual "bumps", and waves that contributed to the poor extraction. So we re-designed the cartridge, made a few changes, and came up with the 14.9 MKII.

In our first test we easily attained our goal velocity with room to spare. I will be headed back to CA, this coming Thursday to hopefully finish our testing. Our main focus will be on ELR shooting out to a mile, and further to check bullet stability.

We have partnered with Anzio Ironworks for our first run of production rifles, and hope to see delivery of the first on the next couple of weeks. I will keep everyone updated with the good, the bad, and the ugly. Thanks!

Hi Jon:

GREAT to have you posting again!

"14.9 MkII" - comparo pics, please. Also, of course, pics of and detailed specs for the "production rifle" offering through Anzio ASAP.

BTW, what powder will you be recommending, starting load info, all the "reloading side"? Or are you talking purchased loaded ammo?

In passing - related - I spoke with John Buhay several weeks back about his rifle as shown in the NF brochure - the Vulcan config - he said it was also based on the Anzio action.

Best!

Hey Oscar! I didn't forget your piece of brass...I will take care of it when I get out there on Thursday.

The powder isn't really publicly available, so all ammo will be for sale through monolithic munitions. It's really a blend, with a "special" loading procedure...

I have yet to have my hands on a MKII round. Monolithic has been handling all of the testing. Will take pics this week, as well as vodeo. I will try to get you some videos of shooting out to a mile, possibly 2 miles by next week.

QUICK UPDATE: Just got back from shooting. Will give a detailed update when I get back from CA. Sub MOA group at 520 yards. Perfectly stable projectiles! At 1,800 yards bullets are still perfectly stable....ran into an issue with our chamber that will need to be corrected, so that stopped us from being able to re-size.

The most important part of this trip was that the projectiles are 100% stable, at least to 1800+...

We also really honed our powder load, and loading technique!

More to come....

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.