14.9 SOP blog is up and running strong

ELR Researcher

Jon O'Neill's 14.9 SOP blog is up and running strong. If you are interested in extreme ELR, don't miss this "project". The pics can all be enlarged two steps and there are many images across the top of the blog main page.

Enjoy and great shooting!

Re: 14.9 SOP - first firing on film!!!

First firing on film!!!

As I was unsure whether I could post a 5+ MB video directly to LRH/ELR, I have posted the video on my site - see 14.9x102mm SOP at Information - Cartridges - go full screen.

Enjoy!

BTW, if you know how to get the video rotated 90 degrees to the right, please advise. I've posted as received from Jon.

That's way cool, the recoil looks pretty tame. Now then I don't think you guys are any different than the rest of us. I'm pretty sure most of us would have walked up to the rifle, opened the bolt, inspected the brass for pressure signs and continued the test.

Some of the less adventurous would have repeated the procedure a few times, the rest of us would have chambered another Rd and immediately started velocity, stability, and accuracy tests. I suspect you gentlemen have already implemented one of the two aforementioned procedures. Sooo, when are y'all going to share the results.

Augustus:

As noted in the original post, check out the blog - Monolithic Munitions

All:

My apologies (again) on the movie being oriented/rotated to the side. That is what I received. I'm hoping the blog will post the correctly oriented movie file.

[I was able to get the image to be correctly oriented - downloaded Microsoft Movie Maker, opened the file in it, rotated the display, and saved the edited file. However, the image quality dropped off a lot, so I have not changed the file I have posted.]

When the blog posts a decent quality movie I will delete the file from my site. So...if you are late to viewing it and the link to that file is gone, just click on the link to the blog.

Augustus:

I spoke with Jon today, and they did what you suggested and got up to 3100.

Did you note the Elite Iron brake pics at the top of the blog page? Jon says it vented a lot of gas, LOL.

Sounds like the next round of testing may be as much as 3-4 weeks out. Keep watching the blog. If I hear more, I'll post here.

BTW, I was banned from SH. Seems Frank was seriously displeased that I suggested those interested in info on the project Google for it - a bit weird since they are also now running posts on the project (sans a link to the blog).

I never understood the resistance to the project, I was skeptical of the projectile but I measured it out from the photo and it appears it is only 5.5 calibers in length, if that is in fact the case it should be a fairly forgiving design. In my experience when a projectile with an aggressive ogive goes past six calibers in length weird things start to happen and requires very aggressive twists to overcome the weirdness.

Ya I followed the posts on the Hide as well. Seems like a ton or resistance to someone that like the rest of us just wants to push the limits cause he can. I may never get to that level of power or distance, but hell I love reading about the guys that can and do.

Agustus

Agreed.

It will be interesting to see what the bullet does when they shoot it past 800-900 yards. From my (and your) experience, that is where things start to get a bit crazy and borderline projectiles go sideways. Eitehr way, it will be interesting to see what happens.

Jeffvn

Thought it was about time I joined the conversation. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.