130 gr bullet higher bc vs. 140 gr bullet lower bc

logan197

I am currently shooting a Rem 270 wsm loaded with 70 gr Retumbo behind 140 gr Sierra GK SBT witg a .457 bc at 3100 fps. I am wanting to try the Cutting edge 130 gr MTH with a .540 bc. Running the Cutting edge at around 3200. I know heavier bullets are better for bucking wind at longer distances but when do higher velocity and bc on a lighter bullet out preform a heavier bullet witha lower bc. Plugged both into Bergers ballistic calculator and the lighter Cutting edge bullet out performed the Sierra. So is this the better choice for long range? Or am I over thinking this and am missing the obvious. Any advice appreciated.

Higher BC bullets WILL fly flatter and lighter bullets MIGHT be subject to drift. One is a constant and the other a variable.

Shoot them both....A lot! :)

Weight is already accounted for in BC, and there is not separate vertical and horizontal BC.
The higher BC bullet will buck wind better than a lower BC bullet, regardless of weight.

Thanks Jluck and Mike. That's the kind of info. I was looking for. I really appreciate it.

The only caveat I see with bc is you can sometimes cheat bc and wind drift a bit by getting the time of flight down with the lighter pill, but at some point far down range the higher bc will win. In your case the lighter bullet is also the higher bc bullet so it's a win/win for you if it shoots accurately.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.