BC vs bullet drop

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by rost495, Dec 19, 2004.

1. rost495

rost495 Well-Known Member

This is gonna sound dumb. But just double checking.

If you take all XYZ Diameter projectiles of the same weight(not necc the same shape though IE differing BC from high to low) and drive them to the same speed, will the bullet drop downrange be the same?

2. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

Regardless of shape the bullets in your question will drop toward the ground at the same rate of speed. However, the more streamlined shapes will lose less velocity on their way to the target. Because they get to the target faster, therefor, they will drop less on the target.

3. LDO

LDO Well-Known Member

nope-multiple b.c.'s will always result in different trajectories even if fired at the same speeds-my-2-dave

4. Brent

Brent Well-Known Member

MV and BC alone determine trajectory. Caliber, shape, bullet density and weight play a part in determining the BC but, BC and MV determine trajectory.

5. rost495

rost495 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Its exactly what I'd always thought. Was reading on another forum and it seemed they believed that time of flight could not be affected by bullet shape. It had me worried a bit at first.

Jeff