110 grain 30 06 groups?

D*N*R*

Anyone getting good groups shooting a 1 in 10 twist rate 30 06? If so what kind of average groups? And what range do they open up?

Here's a 5 shot group with an V-max 110 I shot 4 years ago prone with a stock Savage and 1:10 twist. They were running around 3100fps.

IMG_3501.jpg

I don't see why a 30-06 couldn't do it.

100 gr Sierra Varminter bullets shoot very well out of my Tikka 300 WSM with a 1:10 twist using H4350 at 3500 fps but I've never tried to shoot them farther than 200 yds. I've been told the bullets are too short, the powder too slow and the twist rate too fast for them to work. But they do. Maybe it's the distance and any farther out won't work. I really don't know. Can anyone provide any insight as to why they seem to defy all conventional logic?

I've come to a belief that conventional logic doesn't exist in the shooting sports. The reason I say this is due to many of the conventional beliefs are always being changed due to someone unknowingly or knowingly trying something new and different that makes something that shouldn't work.... work! So if it works for your rifle, chances are it's going to work in other rifles. With your velocity, 300-400yds on a calm day would definitely be attainable on light game (groundhogs, yotes, p-dogs, etc.). I will also add that conventional wisdom should be the term used as a source of guidance, but not logic.

I smacked a groundhog at around 300 yards I believe. It was awhile ago so I can't remember the exact distance but I do know it was around that far. I was using the 110 vmax out of a .308 win. with a 1-10 twist barrel and was getting good groups with it. I did how ever put a self imposed 400 yard max range on this bullet for I didn't think it would shoot to good much past that distance do to the low bc. I would give it a try whats the worst thing that could happen!! They will either shoot good for ya or they wont.

Am i off thinking dont ask them to do more than their best at?
(1)30 cal. 180 grain give or take
(2)277 =130 " " "
(3)243 =95 " " "
Just to name a few "more availible calibers".
And if so best not limited to
(1)elk
(2)deer
(3)hog-coyote

Am i off thinking dont ask them to do more than their best at?
(1)30 cal. 180 grain give or take
(2)277 =130 " " "
(3)243 =95 " " "
Just to name a few "more availible calibers".
And if so best not limited to
(1)elk
(2)deer
(3)hog-coyote

Not sure I understand what you are asking. The 180 is the do all bullet for 308, 30-06, 300WSM, and 300WM. If you want a bullet that will take elk at a fare piece, deer to 900yds, and yotes as far as you are capable, the 180 is your best choice. Better yet would be the 185 Berger Hybrid. Now if you are going with short range splat factor, then the 110grn will do just that. You could use it to 500yds for yotes, and vermin. You could definitely take deer with it to a reasonable 200+ yards. No further IMO. I would not use the 110 for elk. As far as the other calibers, those are very common weight bullets that will do what they are intended.

I know this is an old thread but I've done some experimenting with the Sierra 110 gr HP in my M1 Garand. The pic shows my best results using 48.6 grs of IMR 4895, WLR primers and Winchester cases.

M1_110Gr_I4895_48.6_2_zps0zyfj2wn.jpg
[/URL]

I forgot to mention this was at 100 yds off the bench. The target is an NRA SR-1C and the group measured 3.1"

Last edited:
With the right rig they should shoot just fine but don't expect those good groups to hold up at long range because of the very poor BC.

Back in the seventies Remington came out with the "30-06 Accelerator" which was a small caliber light bullet in a Sabot as a varmint round for the 06. They were hell on critters out to about 300yds, even targets as small as prairie dogs but beyond that they flew all over the prairie. My dad said it was like throwing a Knucke Ball with an 06!

He was right because God only knew where it would end up once it got past 250-300yds.

I expect that my 3.1" group is the best my Garand is capable of. I just hope I can keep them this close. I don't have a bolt action 30-06 but I know no matter what you load these up to that 200-300 yds will be max depending on the wind.

I think I've got 10-12 of those accelerators left somewhere. I need to look for them.

FWIW I worked my 110 gr HP load up for 100-200 yd high power/service rifle matches with my Garand. The 48.6 grs of IMR 4895 is almost 8 grs lower than the starting load. I haven't ran them through a chronograph yet but I have to come up an additional 10 clicks vs. surplus Greek HXP ammo.

110gr vmax ~3800fps out of my 300WM, they are about .75MOA at 100 yards. Maybe 1MOA at 300 yards. They have a LONG jump to the lands but work regardless.

They send a milk jug 20 feet in the air with a 10ft ball of mist. I shot a coyote in the neck at 150 yards and it was all but decapitated. I'll lug the gun to WY next fall just to whack a couple prairie dogs with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.