30-06

soundwaves

looking in to a mauser m3 30-06 8x57 308 or 270. it will be my only rifle. l wanna go with a round with long barrel life but dont want it to be a pain at longer ranges. just wondering. if l actualy went with the 30-06 would l regret it when l start trying to take out medium game at 400-500 meters ?

l know a 300wm is the round for those ranges but the 30-06 wil be lighter, less recoil and a longer barrel life. but would it have the knock down power at those ranges ? l would regret it if l have to look for the animals or cripple em if the shot placement wasnt exactly corect.

most ibex hunters here complane about there 7mm rem mag not haveing anough punch let alone a non magnum caliber. ( l shoot a 7mag and dont have this issue )

looking in to a mauser m3 30-06 8x57 308 or 270. it will be my only rifle. l wanna go with a round with long barrel life but dont want it to be a pain at longer ranges. just wondering. if l actualy went with the 30-06 would l regret it when l start trying to take out medium game at 400-500 meters ?

l know a 300wm is the round for those ranges but the 30-06 wil be lighter, less recoil and a longer barrel life. but would it have the knock down power at those ranges ? l would regret it if l have to look for the animals or cripple em if the shot placement wasnt exactly corect.

most ibex hunters here complane about there 7mm rem mag not haveing anough punch let alone a non magnum caliber. ( l shoot a 7mag and dont have this issue )

any of those three will take deer at 500 meters/yards. The 270 will do it a little bit flatter but that does not really matter much because what is the difference between compensating for 30 inches or 35 inches in elevation? Id get which ever one you like best. 3006 and 308 will both have a wider variety of bullet selection over the 270. Brass will be easy to find for both if you reload. The 308 kicks a little less than the 3006 but the 3006 will be a tiny bit faster. 3006 and 270 are both long actions while the 308 is a short action which in theory the 308 should be shorter overall depending on rifle brand. Again all 3 would make a fine medium game rifle to your distances. Some will say 308 is inherently more accurate than the 3006...I have not found this to be true.

any of those three will take deer at 500 meters/yards. The 270 will do it a little bit flatter but that does not really matter much because what is the difference between compensating for 30 inches or 35 inches in elevation? Id get which ever one you like best. 3006 and 308 will both have a wider variety of bullet selection over the 270. Brass will be easy to find for both if you reload. The 308 kicks a little less than the 3006 but the 3006 will be a tiny bit faster. 3006 and 270 are both long actions while the 308 is a short action which in theory the 308 should be shorter overall depending on rifle brand. Again all 3 would make a fine medium game rifle to your distances. Some will say 308 is inherently more accurate than the 3006...I have not found this to be true.

tnx mate

I agree, all of those will do fine, bullet selection and placement is key. I would go with the 30-06 and a 178 Amax or another 180 class bullet.

I would stick with either the 7mm Rem or 300wm.

The 06 has more than enough power to do the job at 500yds but when you compare the ballistics the other two run away from it.

One thing I really worry about at long range is flight time. The longer a bullet is in the air the more the elements work against you. The longer a bullet is in the air, the more an animal can move between the time you brain sends the signal and the bullet arriving on target.

A fraction of a second is the difference between a clean kill and a wounded animal.

Of the calibers you list I'm most familiar with the 270 which is fairly close to the 7x57 ballistically.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts