100yd or 200yd zero?

It's hard to actually ascertain the cant (end to end difference on a rail). Typically, it will be about 0.017" difference between the 'thick' end and the 'thin' end on a 20 MOA rail and that demends on the rail length as well. You can use a set of calipers to check it but by eye, it's hard to see, at least I can't.

I ordered a new 0 moa TPS steel rail on tuesday and should be here friday. I hope the tube is not bent! Im gonna take everything apart this weekend, lap the rings and hopefully get to shoot on sunday. I have looked at everything and nothing appears to be off.. I would think that it if the scope was crooked or something from the screws being off alignment or the rail being jacked up enough for that scope to run out of windage I would be able to see it but it???

The possibility of your tube being bent should be very small. I think you can check this by just looking down the barrel. If you were thrown off by as much as your photos show, you should see it. When we toured the Savage plant one of the priduction stages was barrel straightening. Interestingly, this was performed visually by looking down the barrel, and if off , the barrel was put in a bending devise and straightened by hand, and rechecked until straight. Even the heavier target barrels were done this way. They let us look down the barrels during the process and you coudn't surly see the difference. The alignment of your mount and scope alignment can be very easily checked with a collimator. Good luck.

This oughtta be nasty... I shoot a similar load out of mine, and it loves it. Mine is 175 Nosler Custom Comps, backed by 44.0gr of Varget, in Lapua brass. It eats them for lunch. gun)

When you get a chance get some Berger 210gr VLD's and load them up with 39.2gr of Varget, and seat them where you have to push-fit them up on the lands when you ease the bolt down....You'll be shooting under 1/2 MOA. It's my new favorite load.

The 11.25" twist that our rifles have is perfect for 168-210gr heavies.

What kind of velocity are you getting out of this load? I need to run the numbers to see if its worth it. The 210 seems awful large for the little .308.

I do have a bunch of 210vld's though :).

What kind of velocity are you getting out of this load? I need to run the numbers to see if its worth it. The 210 seems awful large for the little .308.

I do have a bunch of 210vld's though :).

I don't have a chrono yet....But Berger tested it with a 24" barrel with a 1:11" twist and was getting 2,397 fps. My 5R has an 11.25" twist, so I would assume I would be about dead-on 2,400 fps.

My gun absolutely loves that load.

I must have mis-typed....It's supposed to be 39.1gr of Varget.

If you wanna sell an unopened box of them, let me know, and I can shoot you a USPS M.O. for a box. I only have 1 box, and my local store sold out Friday, as I got the 1 and only box of them.

The largest pill I send is a 165 SGK. Seems to me that a 210 would produce some serious recoil.

It's a thumper for a .308, but not bad at all. You would think it would be a big difference, but not too terribly different than a really hot loaded 168 or 175. However, I mainly shoot large magnums, like 7Mag, 7STW, .257 Wby, and stuff like that. Then again, I've always been insnsitive to recoil since I'm a pretty big guy I've always loved shooting the big magnum calibers, so for me, shooting my .308 w/ a 210 VLD is almost like rehab, when you consider a 7mmSTW hot-loaded and stuffed with some 180 VLD's with about 76gr of H1000 pushing it. For most folks, that one tends to leave a lasting impression. Hahaha!

Here's a picture of the ones I loaded up with the 210 VLD's...

6D05C675-0401-4A97-8DD4-82A29B5F4F93-2422-000001F283419B39_zps1880836e.jpg

I see you like RCBS Dies. So do I, especially the Gold Medal Match dies and seater.
Yeah, I got a few different calibers I load for.....:D

I plan on upgrading my seating dies to the GM Match seaters, but most of my calibers are special order....Whcih sucks.

Yeah, I got a few different calibers I load for.....:D

I plan on upgrading my seating dies to the GM Match seaters, but most of my calibers are special order....Whcih sucks.

You really only need one micrometer seater (GM) or possibly 2. Just buy the extended shell holders for 11 bucks or so for the calibers you load.

IMO, you can't beat the GM seater. I like their bushing dies as well.

I use Lee for the handguns but all the long stuff gets sized in RCBS.

The first time I used the front load seater I was sold.

Yeah, I need to get one for my main tweaking calibers that I tend to mess with alot, like my 7mmSTW, 7Mag, and .308. And when I get my .280 AI built I'll have to get one for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.