100yd and 600yd loads?

As technique practice goes I have been doing a LOT of shooting with my .22 lately and have noticed a huge difference in my shooting on my bigger guns as a result of it. I have noticed that a little error in technique on a rimfire shows up huge at 200 yrds. Since I have been practicing with the .22 I have also noticed I am getting far better with reading the wind, a little 40 grn round really gets knocked around a lot by the time it gets to 200 yrds. The other big advantage to practicing with the rimfire is cost. 500 rounds a day is not uncommon for me now and only spending 30 bucks to do it is a pretty big bonus.

I hear ya bman...I agree with everything you said. :D

Last year I invested in an old, clean Marlin heavy barrel bolt-action 22LR with a custom wood stock and the feel/fit and weight that would be similar to our hunting rifles; it was a deal I couldn't refuse.

My son and I use that to PRACTICE a lot of off-hand shooting and concentrate on technique from field positions for that purpose...The savings in ammo alone was worth it up-front. gun)

As technique practice goes I have been doing a LOT of shooting with my .22 lately and have noticed a huge difference in my shooting on my bigger guns as a result of it. I have noticed that a little error in technique on a rimfire shows up huge at 200 yrds. Since I have been practicing with the .22 I have also noticed I am getting far better with reading the wind, a little 40 grn round really gets knocked around a lot by the time it gets to 200 yrds. The other big advantage to practicing with the rimfire is cost. 500 rounds a day is not uncommon for me now and only spending 30 bucks to do it is a pretty big bonus.
I do the same. I spend the summers shooting the heads off of tank turtles while they swim around with an open sight 10/22.

With 1/4-1/2" targets that are moving it's quite the challenge and very realistic practice for larger game at any range.

I go through about 3,000 rounds a year and I could never afford to do that with anything else.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.