100g Btip

remingtonman_25_06

I am gonna start shooting the 100g NBT at 3350fps from my 25-06. I know it will be a great dual purpose yote/deer bullet. Just curious as to your thoughts on how far I should limit it to deer? 500yards or 600 yards? Its a pretty accurate combo 2" at 400y, so putting it where it needs to go shouldn't be a problem.

Under good conditions it does a good job at 500. I have shot more deer with a Roberts and a 100 NBT than any other combo. My friend shot a 06 100 NBT at 3400 and it killed like turning off a light switch. At closer range dont expect to find much more than some jacket frags and a little blue tip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Once it gets past the on side ribs its all over.

My hunting buddy shot probably 8 or 10 deer with the 25-06 100 gr BT at ranges from 50 to 400 yards and got some nice kills but also had some deer run quite a ways when the bullet basically disintegrated in the chest cavity. He was not completely satisfied with the performance and switched to the Remington 100 gr Corelokt. These bullets held together better.

Now that I also have a 25-06, I'm going to load up some 110 AB's for both of us. They should perform well like the Corelokt but with a better BC. I just wonder how well the BT would perform on a quartering shot where more penetration was needed.

Are you thinking that the BT would expand better at lower velocities for the long shots? Have you considered the 110 AB? Just some thoughts.

80% of my shots at deer are 200+ yards, so I'm not to worried about the bullet breaking up. I"m just mainly looking for 1 bullet to do everything I want, fairly cheap. I've worked up an accurate load with the 110g AB, but feel its a little heavy for deer, and expensive for targets and coyotes. I coulda stuck with the 115g BT, but the 100's shoot just a tad better. I've also got a great 117g SBT load, but its not as accurate as the range increases. So kinda looking for just 1 bullet for everything...

Hey Remingtonman

I haven't read any of my posts in a while and I saw that you ask from what neck of the woods in Oregon I'm from. I'm from Portland.

Drew

remingtonman_25_06,
Years ago, when I was a young man, Hunting Magazine writers would tell us that we needed 2000 ft-lb of energy for Elk and 1000 ft-lbs for deer. Years later it changed to 1500 ft-lbs for Elk and 1000 ft-lb for deer remained the same. Many will disagree with my personal opinion but here it goes:
Given that conditions are right and precise shot placement is not a problem, I believe that 500 ft-lb will take any deer and or antelope with not a problem. Like wise, 1000 ft-lbs is all you need for an Elk. Yes, I agree that more energy is better and preferable, but you can do with these figures. That said, your 25-06 with 100 gr. NBT at around 5000' of elevation would produce just over 500 ft-lbs at 1000 yards. The 115 gr. NAB would definitely be a better choice as you would know, much higher BC, better bullet that would hit closer to 575 ft-lb at 1000 yards, assuming 3200 f/sec MV at the given elevation. Since I know that most would disagree, I'd like to know if there is any one that would concur.

Eaglet,

I certainly agree with your thinking on the energy requirements; with making allowance for the "shot placement is everything" rule. My personal opinion is that in worst case scenarios the bullets should be resilient enough to inflict sufficient damage on the targeted vital organ(s). To me, a perfect bullet would be capable of penetrating the onside shoulder and the minimum would be at least sturdy enough to break onside ribs, with both cases allowing for decent expansion. I'm not exactly sure of the figures, but I think 1000 ft. lbs. For elk and 500 for deer/antelope would be more than adequate. As far as the reliability of the 100-grain, Nosler BT, I have some doubts about its effect if it hit a shoulder; but otherwise, it should be an efficient killer. JMHO

Dave

Rem
I have found the 100nbt is often the most accurate and used it in a roberts 2 06's and a 223 wssm. As for shoulder shots on deer it has worked BUT I would not use it for them or hard quartering. Just through the ribs!

Eaglet I agree BUT TO ME at 25 yards a handgun with 300 LBS of energy is an easier shot than a 1K shot with a rifle that holds MOA and 500 LBS. As things get farther bigger is better. A bad hit is a bad hit, but I would feel better with a marginal hit from a big 7, .30 or .338 than a slow .25
Between our bag limit and crop damage I have had a chance to use the 100NBT often and will continue.

Eaglet If you are wrong than what do I do about the number of deer that didn't know they were hit by a 9mm 40 45 or 357? Can I un-cook them?

I would much rather the 110 NAB for deer, especially on close range shots!

Cosmetic blems are $10. for 50 which isn't that expensive...and it sure beats tracking a deer that may or may not die for a day or two!

edge.

My wife and I have some experience with the 100 gr. Nosler BT in the 25-06. This was our standard bullet in both of our rifles. We have taken a number of deer and antelope with this bullet. All but one dropped as soon as it was hit. Distances have been from a 100 yds. woods shot on deer to antelope over 500 yds. The one (antelope) that did not fall immediately was hit at 526 yds. by my wife. She hit it in the shoulder breaking the leg bone. The bullet did not penetrate the body. She had to shoot it again. I have since changed her bullet to the 115 Partition. It shoots the same 1/2" groups at 100 yds. as the 100 gr. BT and shot well out to 300 yds. We have not done any long range hunting with it yet. The only game shot were two antelope at about 80 yds. Both dropped in their tracks.

I have purchased some of the 110 gr. Accubonds to test. I hope to use them in my rifle.

I also use the 100 gr. BT in my MOA .250 Savage pistol. It is very effective on deer. I have not had a shot over 100 yds. on deer but I believe that it would be good to 300 yds.

Tom

Eaglet- I pretty much agree with you 100% on your energy figures. The only reason I say that is because I have seen deer drop at 300-350 yards with .223 and 22-250's that are only packing about 400lbs energy at that distance. I know for a fact though I wont be shooting deer or antelope at 1000 yards with my 25-06. I'll bring out the magnum for that. Not saying the 25-06 wont do it, but man thats pushing it IMO. I figure I'll keep the 100g BT to 600 yards or so and see how it does. I know the 115g BT is definately the better choice for longer range shots, but like I said, the 100g shoots better and ballistically there about the same since the 100g is going 300fps faster. My 115g loads are accurate, but only at 3050fps. If I was shooting the 115g BT I would go to 700 yards, maybe 800 yards on deer, but that might be pushing it. I'm sure I could probly sneek a little closer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I concur with you on your energy figures though. I've never once believed you needed 2K on elk and 1K for deer.

Rimfire- Yah my load right now shoots 5 shots in 5/8" at 100 yards w/the 100g BT's. I can only get 3 shots into .5" at 100 w/the 115g BT's. My thinking on a shoulder shot is that it will bust the shoulder and make it to the vitals, but probly stop short of the offside shoulder. Might result in having to shoot it again. If the range is 300 or closer, I'll put the bullet through the ribs, if its over 300 I'll be aiming for the shoulder. I wont be taking any 1K shots at deer with my 25-06, yotes most definately /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

edge- I have a great load worked up around the 110g AB. I'm saving that load for elk/bears. I've never been one to believe that you need a bonded bullet for deer hunting, and still dont. My load for the 110g AB is 51g H4831 w/cci br-2 primer. Velocity is 3075fps and accuracy is .5 moa to 500 yards. I just dont want to be practicing and shooting coyotes with them, and for the simple fact that I dont need a bonded bullet for deer. If there close, I'll put it behind the shoulder and have no worries.

Tom- Thats good to hear about all the 1 shot drop kills. Thats what I'm use to seeing with the good ol 25-06 and the 115g NBT. I always went for the shoulder though, kinda hard for them to go anywhere but straight down with 2 broken shoulders /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Where did you shoot the antelope/deer that dropped in there tracks, behind the shoulder or in the shoulder?? I"ve got a great load with the 110g AB, just dont see the need to use that bullet for deer and coyotes and busting rocks. I never had a problem with the 115g BT exiting deer. Thanks for all the great replys. Seems like this bullet has some followers!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.