1000 ya hunting/target rifle

Always lap my rings. Have bedded scope rails, but I'm mostly over that now. ;)
If you use a high-quality rail and high-quality rings, you won't ever need to lap them.

Many years ago when I saw just how out of square and how cheap and low-quality Leupold rings really are, I stopped using them altogether, and swapped every rifle I own over to a pic rail setup. No issues since. I highly recommend EGW HD bases and Seekins Precision rings. They make for a rock-solid setup.

Never bedded a rail either, but I could see where if your bolt holes or rail are not perfect this would be proactive.

If you use a high-quality rail and high-quality rings, you won't ever need to lap them.

Many years ago when I saw just how out of square and how cheap and low-quality Leupold rings really are, I stopped using them altogether, and swapped every rifle I own over to a pic rail setup. No issues since. I highly recommend EGW HD bases and Seekins Precision rings. They make for a rock-solid setup.

Never bedded a rail either, but I could see where if your bolt holes or rail are not perfect this would be proactive.
To each his own, but I refuse to rely on someone else's machining at the possible detriment to a high dollar optic.

Take a candle and blacken the receiver after removing the trigger bolt release and bolt. Put it in your stock to see if it is hitting the bedding block in all desired locations. Once you've done that you can see if just the lug area or other areas need compound. If your shooting a tight twist just tape the bottom and front of the lug. Make sure your action is all the way down into the stock!! We had a guy do his own "bedding job". The rifle barrel was at an angle to the for end. Claimed it shot well but seem to kick more and wanted a brake installed
That's a good way to see. I was seeing ways of inletting black and stuff. But the candle seems quick and easy. What do you mean by right twist? 9.25 is tight compared to 10?

I ordered an egw HD base a few days ago from brownells. I wanted a base that was full on top. Seems more structurally stable I guess. I keep reading the odd thing about the rem action not being consistent on top so I dunno. I also ordered Burris xtr rings in steel to match.
The Burris xtr ii is nice Good optics last forever but rifles come and go you should also considering shooting bags, kestrel, bipod, and range finder? These were some things I overlooked when I first started. Luckily I had someone willing to let me borrow some gear.
Yes I need to get shooting bags. I have a bipod in order. Just a 6-9". I never heard of a kestrel. Friend has a rnange finder. Not sure if will pick one up right away. Although would be handy for hunting. I imagine a new set of info to research before buying. We are looking at picking up a spotting scope for our long target.

That's a good way to see. I was seeing ways of inletting black and stuff. But the candle seems quick and easy. What do you mean by right twist? 9.25 is tight compared to 10?

I ordered an egw HD base a few days ago from brownells. I wanted a base that was full on top. Seems more structurally stable I guess. I keep reading the odd thing about the rem action not being consistent on top so I dunno. I also ordered Burris xtr rings in steel to match.

Yes I need to get shooting bags. I have a bipod in order. Just a 6-9". I never heard of a kestrel. Friend has a rnange finder. Not sure if will pick one up right away. Although would be handy for hunting. I imagine a new set of info to research before buying. We are looking at picking up a spotting scope for our long target.
Kestrel is a brand of wind meter.
https://kestrelmeters.com/products/kestrel-4500-weather-meter

Also looking for advice on bullet seating depth and maybe choice of bullet. I bought h1000 powder and accubond lr in 168gr. I also bought an extra 100 cases to maybe load a second type of ammo. I'm second guessing the accubond maybe just cuz I'm messed like that. Also what would be a desirable distance off lands? .020?

I would forgo the spotting scope to begin with. A good rangefinder and kestrel will do more for you than the spotter. If you buy a decent 20x scope you can spot your hits on a freshly painted plate at 1k

I would forgo the spotting scope to begin with. A good rangefinder and kestrel will do more for you than the spotter. If you buy a decent 20x scope you can spot your hits on a freshly painted plate at 1k

Ordered a cheapest busnell spotting scope just cause a friend will prob be with when we try to hit the 1k. He has a kestrel and range reindeer so not sure if I'll buy right away or not.

Stuff is coming in the mail now. Scope and rings are in so prob pick up tonight hopefully.

Another thing is I was contemplating a second load for learning purpose. Was thinking something with 120 gr for fun. Maybe for dogs out to 500.

164A84FE-CDE4-4CFB-8111-D951FEBD7B30.jpeg
Guess pics didn't work. Prob make a stand for the press to get it up off table
21A0C8A3-6BDB-4CD2-9F6E-F231DDA3D73D.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.