100 yd zero hitting high at 200 yd

Thank you !!
I shot from prone, 6 " bi-pod in front sand sock in rear. Had target on 100 yd line and target on 200 yd line right next to 100yd so I just had a slight shift from one to another. Also I have shot off a solid concrete shooting bench at different time and had same results. No have not made it back to range. Going to try tomorrow 3-10-2021. If weather permits. Calling for rain here in Saint Louis. Getting some factory ammo, Nosler trophy grade 300 win mag 180 gr accubond to try.

Just don't change anything until you can do what I described above. If you change things, you add variables, and then we will all be in the dark again. If you change ammo type, (which will have nothing to do with this problem), boresight, zero at 100y, post group, then go to 200y and shoot a group without touching anything. Anything other than that makes it impossible to eliminate variables.

One thing that I forgot to ask you was if you slipped your rings after you got your 100y zero and then went to 200y and witnessed what you've described. More than once I've seen a poi shift occur when rings were slipped. Sometimes your fingers spin the turrets without you realizing it while you are trying to slip and relock your turrets. It happens.

work out a drop table for that bullet and velocity. there are several online resources for that.

Then check your results against the drop table.

When I shoot Pdogs, I have a drop table in the cover of my ammo case.

HM

No, stopped shooting, did not want to waste ammo if something is wrong and chasing my tail.
You were not using a can and removing it were you.?
Was you 100 zero with the same box/ or reloads that you zeroed atc100 yards? Reconfirm zero.It may cost ya a few extra rounds but better than pulling you hair out..lol
My sons Ruger.M77 inn7mm Rem Mag was doing the same thing. Good Luck

The 6.5C and for that fact all bullets "climb" after leaving the muzzle. the bullets climb relative to a direct line of sight (assuming a good zero at say 100y or 200y etc) from the muzzle to the target. Now bullets drop relative to the line of the bore because gravity is acting on them from the start. Relative to the plane of the earth the bullet is climbing till it reaches its apex.
^^^
This. The bullet crosses the plane straight line site plane twice in the arc from the barrel to the ground. You are zeroed at 100 and also at probably 300 something.

^^^
This. The bullet crosses the plane straight line site plane twice in the arc from the barrel to the ground. You are zeroed at 100 and also at probably 300 something.
The simplest and most likely explanation. It shows up more as the initial sight in range gets shorter.

If you desire a 200 yard zero-zero at 200.

You will just confuse people. Bullets don't climb, they begin falling the instant they leave the barrel and they fall until they stop moving.

Relativity to other things such as scope placement is irrelevant, bullets never "climb". I understand from what you said that you understand this, but your explanation might confuse someone who is new toWhile gravity acts on all bullets the second they leave the barrel, most sight arrangements launch bullets into an upward trajectory, the bullets then reach the apex of the trajectory and begin to fall again. With this arrangement, bullets cross the line of sight twice; once on the way up and once on the way down.

You will just confuse people. Bullets don't climb, they begin falling the instant they leave the barrel and they fall until they stop moving.

Relativity to other things such as scope placement is irrelevant, bullets never "climb". I understand from what you said that you understand this, but your explanation might confuse someone who is new to this.
While gravity acts on all bullets the second they leave the barrel, most sight arrangements launch bullets into an upward trajectory. The bullets climb, reach the apex of the trajectory and begin to fall again. With this arrangement, bullets cross the line of sight twice; once on the way up and once on the way down.

^^^
You're confusing the issue again. This doesn't make a 100y zero hit high at 200y. With a
While gravity acts on all bullets the second they leave the barrel, most sight arrangements launch bullets into an upward trajectory. The bullets climb, reach the apex of the trajectory and begin to fall again. With this arrangement, bullets cross the line of sight twice; once on the way up and once on the way down.
Listen, there is no climbing. Your barrel is pointed up at an angle, and the bullet is falling from that line constantly. Attempts to explain this as a "rise" or "upward trajectory" just aren't accurate. I fully understand the point you are trying to make, and your rifle is canted skyward when your scope is parallel to the earth, but the bullet doesn't rise or climb or anything else. Bullets are immediately effected by gravity, and gravity pushes objects towards the earth, and it is that simple. The reason I want to be so clear about this is because many people look at a trajectory diagram and believe that bullets leave the barrel and climb skyward, which isn't the case.

Actually the bullet does climb initially due to the barrel angle, it's called a launch angle and relative to the ground the bullet is launched upward through the line of sight and then it falls back down through the line of sight a second time. Relative to the bore, the bullet will constantly drop due to gravity.

1615328104041.png

Scopes are typically sighted on the downward portion of the trajectory curve but if you want to take advantage of the Point Blank Capability of a bullet then you can zero the rifle on the upward portion of the curve and then the bullet will be on target again at some further distance that is on the downward part of the curve. Most often though people zero the scope on the downward portion of the curve and adjust the scope for ranges other than the zero distance.

Some people will take a new scope out of the box and sight it in without knowing where the elevation is, if someone had turned it all the way down then you'll more than likely sight in on the upward moving portion of the trajectory curve. Try sighting the scope in again but start from the middle of it's range of adjustment. Count the total number of elevation turns and put the knob in the center of that number of turns. You should be very high at 100 yards. Drop the elevation on the scope until it's sighted in. You should be good to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.