100 vs 400 yard shooting question?

WEATHERBY460

Savage 338 Lapua, 250 Scenars. Nightforce 32X scope.

At 100 yards it is sighted in dead center. But at 400 yards, I am shooting 4" to the right. I had to move the scope 4 clicks to get it shooting center again.

What is causing this?

Let's get a bit technical, ok?

When you shot at 400 did you click the elevation for a POA/POI?

If yes, go back to 100 and shoot a zero setting shot. Should be zero'd @ 100, correct?

If yes, click up a 4 or 5 MOA or more if your target will stand it. Shoot again.

If the POI is "NOT" directly above the zero shot, your problem is the reticle is not "Plumb" with the bore. That is the vertical cross hair is not straight up and down.

If the POI "IS" directly above the zero shot you have a bit more serious problem.

Post results of first test and we'll go from there.

HTH

4 inches right at 400 would be a very slight amount of cant IMO? What twist is your barrel?

4 inches right at 400 would be a very slight amount of cant IMO? What twist is your barrel?

A 5 degree cant of the reticle from horizontal will result in a .36 inch shift from POA at 100 yds. That's hard to distinguish. At 400 yds a 5 degree cant of the reticle would yield 1.44 inch shift from POA. The OP has a 4 inch shift. That would mean a cant of somewhere between 8-10 degrees, just off the top of my head, and that would be a considerable amount of cant. So going back to what barnseuser, cblackwell and roy had to say, checking your scope mounting and reticle orientation to horizontal and the bore axis might be a good place to start.

Good luck pardner.

DocB

I had that same problem, at 100 yards I would hit centered, and with an adjustment up 7MOA, it would hit 3 inches right.
The problem was a canted scope... well, it was my reticle was canted, and I had to cant the scope slightly to the left get it to hit properly.

I would test as royinidaho has suggested.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts