10 years old , first build , took 30 minutes

cornshank

At 10 years old ,I decided to build a scatter gun pistol , so out in the barn ,on the work bench , I took a foot long piece of 1/2 inch copper pipe , bent it in half and flattened out half and taped a piece of wood to it for a handle.
Next I drilled a small hole in the top , for the fuse.
Then I took a a piece of fishing line and pushed it through the hole and out the barrel.
Next I tied a firecracker to the fishing line by the fuse and pulled it in the barrel and out the drilled hole so it was sticking out.
Now I filled the barrel with chicken feed ( scratch ) , and lit the fuse, boom , never shot anything with it cause you had to hold the thing up so the ammo wouldn't roll out the barrel.

At 10 years old ,I decided to build a scatter gun pistol , so out in the barn ,on the work bench , I took a foot long piece of 1/2 inch copper pipe , bent it in half and flattened out half and taped a piece of wood to it for a handle.
Next I drilled a small hole in the top , for the fuse.
Then I took a a piece of fishing line and pushed it through the hole and out the barrel.
Next I tied a firecracker to the fishing line by the fuse and pulled it in the barrel and out the drilled hole so it was sticking out.
Now I filled the barrel with chicken feed ( scratch ) , and lit the fuse, boom , never shot anything with it cause you had to hold the thing up so the ammo wouldn't roll out the barrel.
I was 11 and already shooting a Savage Pump #37 22LR for a few year. Everyone else had BB or Pellet rifles. My dad would not let me have one he said they are too dangerous. He was right. We used to have WARS and shoot each other. Had a few BBs under my skin that had to be pulled out with tweezer.
I got the bright idea of taking a small diameter pipe, put a 22LR in one end and then taping it to end of my friends BB gun barrel. Used the firing of the BB to hit the 22LR and have the bullet travel down the pipe. No Idea why I did it because I already had a real 22 rifle. Well we set it up tied the bb gun to a tree, tied a string on the trigger and went behind a rock. We pulled the string, the bb hit the 22LR a loud bang and the "pipe Barrel" blew off the end of the BB gun. NEVER messed with home made guns again!

I was 11 and already shooting a Savage Pump #37 22LR for a few year. Everyone else had BB or Pellet rifles. My dad would not let me have one he said they are too dangerous. He was right. We used to have WARS and shoot each other. Had a few BBs under my skin that had to be pulled out with tweezer.
I got the bright idea of taking a small diameter pipe, put a 22LR in one end and then taping it to end of my friends BB gun barrel. Used the firing of the BB to hit the 22LR and have the bullet travel down the pipe. No Idea why I did it because I already had a real 22 rifle. Well we set it up tied the bb gun to a tree, tied a string on the trigger and went behind a rock. We pulled the string, the bb hit the 22LR a loud bang and the "pipe Barrel" blew off the end of the BB gun. NEVER messed with home made guns again!
Very nice , we sure had some great ideas , my two younger brothers were in awe of the stuff that I invented .
I taught them well and pretty soon they were coming up with their own stuff.
Yes talk about dangerous , when we ran out of pellets for the old crossman pump, we would put any thing from the work bench down the barrel and keep shooting!

Very nice , we sure had some great ideas , my two younger brothers were in awe of the stuff that I invented .
I taught them well and pretty soon they were coming up with their own stuff.
Yes talk about dangerous , when we ran out of pellets for the old crossman pump, we would put any thing from the work bench down the barrel and keep shooting!
I used lead sinkers that were about the size of a BB in my friends BB guns when we didn't have any "Copper Coated" BBs. If fact the lead fishing sinkers worked better on chipmunks and squirrels! The things we did a kids 50 60 70 years ago. I bet you won't find kids in this generation making their own firearms!

I used lead sinkers that were about the size of a BB in my friends BB guns when we didn't have any "Copper Coated" BBs. If fact the lead fishing sinkers worked better on chipmunks and squirrels! The things we did a kids 50 60 70 years ago. I bet you won't find kids in this generation making their own firearms!
No , not even ,society now would call the police and make a big fuss over stuff we thought was normal.

No , not even ,society now would call the police and make a big fuss over stuff we thought was normal.
Dad used to sell fireworks, me and my little brother would take them apart and make pipe bombs out of shotgun shells.

Knock the primer out of one and hot glue fuse in there.then slide another shell over the one full of powder.

More than once I got a talkin to and had to fill big holes in the pasture.

Went to high school with guns in the back window. It was definitely different back then

Dad used to sell fireworks, me and my little brother would take them apart and make pipe bombs out of shotgun shells.

Knock the primer out of one and hot glue fuse in there.then slide another shell over the one full of powder.

Went to high school with guns in the back window. It was definitely different back then
Dang , I'll bet you had to stand back when you lit those !

Hey, when we got in trouble doing that stuff , my Dad would make all of us ,(3 brothers ) ,husk English walnuts by hand .
Of course as soon as he walked away,instead of husking them,
We would just throw them down in the creek!

Last edited:
We

We used to take old bicycle spikes and bend a handle in it like a pistol and turn the adjustment head around for a barrel then we took stick matches and took the ends off them and stuffed in our little barrel then took shot gun shot that would mash in to the end hold a match under it you had an effective single shot gun also got shot in the eye with a BB gun stupid is as stupid does. David

Dang , I'll bet you had to stand back when you lit those !

Hey, when we got in trouble doing that stuff , my Dad would make all of us ,(3 brothers ) ,husk English walnuts by hand .
Of course as soon as he walked away,instead of husking them,
We would just throw them down in the creek!
My older cousin taught us how to make sparkler bombs. Those were dangerous too
We usually hid behind the horse shed.

Blasting caps were funner but harder to get

Well you had to bring up fireworks…. A great friend and I opened a fireworks stand when we just out of high school. We were lucky that my friends father owned property on well traveled highway. There was a market across the highway that also started selling fireworks around July 4th. We had a great location but we were in a event style tent. So one evening we we took some incoming fire from bottle rockets, etc. from the market across the highway. It was reasonably safe until the market launched a more aggressive assault. We returned fire with a barrage of No. 5 floral shells and cleared out the insurgents. Sometimes you need to stand up and show strength. A lesson to be learned to by our current administration.