1:8,7" twist in a 20" barrel

aammat

I have ordered a Sauer 202 in .308 with a 20" barrel, I had the idea that it had a 1:10 twsit like the standard barrel.. Asking the gunshop they said it's 1:8,7", I have read og 1:8 and 1:9, but never this twist..
I would like to ask if any of you have experience with the 1:8,7 twist..?

aammat,

It's a metric twist, the 1x8.7" is merely what it comes out to in Imperial units. I've never seen one in a 30 cal, but that (1x8.7") was the standard twist in the 6.5x55 Sauer 202 barrels that I've used in testing. I've gone through a couple dozen of these (literally) over the years, and never had a one that wasn't an absolute tack-driver.

As far as the 30 cal twist, the extra spin won't cause you a bit of trouble. Too little spin, major problems. But spinning them faster than needed merely results in a higher stability factor, and no other problems. Don't sweat it, you're good to go.

Kevin,

Thanks for your reply, nice to know it's not going to be a problem having that twist.. Since I didn't found data about it, I was ready to cancel the short barrel in order to get a standard barrel with 1:10..
In your experience, is there a trend in what type of bullet that twist like to shoot with - meaning lenght or weight..?

Not being sure,so I am compareing it with a 1 in 7 twist 22-250.....In which I have to use a heavy bullet for the fast twist..

Just guessing that maybe this is the same with your 308...Mine has the 1 in 10 twist and mine prefers the 175 to 190 grain bullets..But mine is a 30 inch shilen
barrel..If you reload,you will have to experiment with it.Should be very interesting..:)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.