1:14 twist Shilen, 22LR on a Contender...

BMF

What bullet weight would you guys recommend for my custom 14" long/ 1:14 twist Shilen 22LR match Barrel? I bought this from a friend, other wise I would've just asked Shilen or the smith who originally built it. I tend to think anything between 40-55gr would do, but I'm also not that informed on the pistol/rimfire thing. Any info would be appreciated because I'm more of a centerfire guy.
_______
Brent

I do not have a Contender 22LR barrel but complete with a 22.

If it were me, based on experience.

Everyday plinking: CCI Standard Velocity. Best accuracy vs. cost. Every firearm we've tried.
Match shooting: SKS, Wolf or Lapua and of you are willing to spend $.50 each Eley EPS.

With that barrel I would stay away from copper jacketed. Nice barrel.

You could use the CCI subsonics and I am very interested in the results.

Should you choose to sell that barrel, please contact me.

That's also been my experience with the CCI standard velocities. Solid performance for the price. I actually just picked up some Norma Tac.22LR, 40 gr. So obviously i gonna give them a try. They weren't that expensive either (for today's standards) ~ $5.30ish a box.
Thanks for the advice jfseaman. I probably won't be selling the barrel because like you.....i kinda like it.:rolleyes: I'll defiantly let you know how it performers although it may be awhile because between our house getting built, kids, work, hunting season, solving world hunger and disproving the theory of relativity......well you know.

Well, the Norma Tac 22, 40gr bullets are the real deal. So far, at 50yds, I can easily touch all my shots together. At 100 yds ( which they drop 6.5" in my 14" Shilen barrel) i can keep them inside 1". I should see what kind pattern i can hold at 150yds.....just for fun. I'm not completely up too speed with rimfire pistols, but I'm happy with those results.
______
Brent

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts