Regular 40-gr 22LRs in 1:9" twist

owlhoot

To anyone with a 22 with a 1:9" twist (as for 60gr Aguila):

What kind of accuracy do you get with 40gr LRs?

To anyone with a 22 with a 1:9" twist (as for 60gr Aguila):

What kind of accuracy do you get with 40gr LRs?

I have never shot or heard of a 1 in 9 twist in a 22 LR (They are normally 1 in 15 +).

But I did not have good luck with the accuracy of the sub sonics, so that may have been
the problem. (to slow of a twist rate).

The lead 22 bullets work best in a slow twist because of the tendency to shear if twist is
to fast. but the jacketed bullets would probably shoot OK in a 1 in 9 twist barrel.

I will be interested to see what others have to say.

J E CUSTOM

J E-
Thanks for your reply to this post as well as my June 4th post (Switch Barrel .22s)

Other people might not have a lot to say, as my shooting interests are sorta out in left field!

If you scroll down this page, you will see where others have had custom 1:9" barrels made for the 60-gr Aguila rounds.

I have heard from Redmann Reboring to say that he can probably reline a Marlin Papoose barrel with either 1:9 or 1:24. (He needed to see the bbl) The latter would be good for .22LR CB Caps, which are quiet. I never could get the CB Caps to group well from the std .22 LR barrel, which, as you say, is most likely around 1:15. I do not think it is the rate of twist so much as the way the CB Cap lies too far behind the leade of a regular .22 LR chambered bbl. The std .22 LR (40 gr) should sit well in the leade of a rifle chambered specifically for the 60 gr Aguilas.

I think RUGER should offer 12" bull barrels for their Charger pistol. Perhaps in different twists,

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.