Zero stop

Gonzos

Hello, I'm very excited to be part of the forum.
I've looked over many threads and doesn't seem to be ego maniacs at every turn. So here I am the new guy with a question already.
I recently purchased my first long range to me optic, I have many 3x9- 3.5x14 and so on,never had to deal with turret adjustments.
So the optic I have a question about it a Tract Turic, I understand the zero stop for elevation but how do you not loose track of the windage? I have a fear of that turret being twisted and now I'm off a significant amount. Thanks and I do apologize for the long question.

You can count turns to the stop, but isn't yours locking windage? As in pull the turret out to adjust, press in to lock? On mine without locking windage that will do a full rev of windage I put a small dab of paint above the scale on the turret body and then LIGHTLY scribe a line in the paint that references zero, one rev out either way would be dead obvious. Then if moving to another rifle or selling the paint comes off with no marking of the scope whatsoever.

Wow, thanks.
Literally 7 minutes and my question has been answered. I will use the tape idea for both the elevation and the windage, there's no reason to adjust the turret when I can use my mills in the optic correct?
That is true and works well with First Focul Plane, but if it's a Second Focul Plane you have to be at max power for those reticle marks to be accurate. And, that may not be ideal in all situations. I would rather dial either way for elevation. Good luck on whatever you decide.

As an F.Y.I. regarding this question ...... some scopes limit the windage turret to +/- 1/2 turn once you have it zero'd. That way you can't get lost.

So the optic I have a question about it a Tract Turic
That is an excellent choice. It includes positivly locking turrets. I think you will be happy with the lock feature.

I understand the zero stop for elevation but how do you not loose track of the windage?
It locks on your optic of choice. Some lighter hunting scopes use a fairly short turret and then cap it to prevent unwanted turns. The last effective method would be something like tape in place.

Also, you should look at you ballistic charts. At 1000yds, in a 30mph crosswind, I need 6.2 mils of horizontal hold or dialing. That is extreme. I cannot imagine a stable enough wind condition to hold more than 3-4mils when shooting. That is more of a poke and hope practically speaking. I doubt I would ever hold more than 2mils in the real world!

How many MOA in one turn of you windage knob? I don't usually have to make enough adjustment on windage to lose track?
10 mils

Wrap it with clear tape where it can't move.
It's an option, but Tract Toric turrets lock.

Wow, thanks.
Literally 7 minutes and my question has been answered. I will use the tape idea for both the elevation and the windage, there's no reason to adjust the turret when I can use my mills in the optic correct?
I think you will find in variable winds, the reticle is an easier hold. In strong consistent winds, dialing is a good option.

None of this explains the zero stop feature which is there to stop you from going below zero and getting lost in the turret. People get lost in the elevation mostly in ELR. It can happen in the real world. My hunting load has me dial 7.9 mils at 1000 yards. Without zero stop, I could get lost, especially dialing the wrong direction.