Zeiss v4 or Swaro z5?

What does "best" mean to you? To me it's rugged internals with most important factors being holding zero, rtz and tracking. To many others "best" is glass quality or some other nearly pointless fluff

Last edited:
As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it would be our pleasure to discuss this with you and help figure out which would suit your intended use the best. If you've got a few minutes give us a call, 516-217-1000
Thanks

As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it would be our pleasure to discuss this with you and help figure out which would suit your intended use the best. If you've got a few minutes give us a call, 516-217-1000
Thanks
I will. I actually bought a Leica rangefinder form you guys in September.

Zeiss is 30mm. Swaro z5 should be 1" main tube. I think. Been wrong once or twice though. Having recently bought the new zeiss, i love it. And would prefer zeiss ballistic elevation turret any day over swaro z5

Nevrsummr is correct about the tube sizes.
These are both really nice scopes. Two things that I found remarkable about them:
- The Swarovski has a clever adjustable ballistic turret that you can customize to your rifle and ammo.
- The Zeiss has fantastic illumination.

Have not had the Swarovski, but have had a Zeiss V4 in a 6-24x50 as well as a Leupold Vx-6 in 3-18x50. I won the Zeiss in a raffle and never mounted it before I sold it. The glass had fantastic clarity and would have been kept if I wouldn't have been hit with a furlough. To my eye it was a touch above my VX-6 and at 24 power retained that clarity.

I have a Z5 3.5x18 BT mounted on an Tikka ultralight 6.5 creed and a Zeiss V4 6x24 mounted on a custom 280ai that is my dedicated long range rig. I really like them both. Optically it's a toss up for me. I prefer the Zeiss on the 280ai since it has much more travel for dialing. The compact size and weight of the Swarovski is perfect on the Tikka and the ballistic turret is simple to use and will get me to 575 yds with my current load. I would be okay with either if I had to pick one but would probably pick the Zeiss just because it has more elevation adjustmen.

Between the two, go 100% with Zeiss V6 6-24x56. the V4 and S5 were made for that strange people called Americans, that want a 3000 boxes scope for 1.500... I moved my V6 on 3 rifles, after ending the rifle, it managed several thousands rounds, of which about 600 in 338 Lapua, 3 African safaris, hunts in the snow at -20 Celsius etc. Never had a problem

Between the two, go 100% with Zeiss V6 6-24x56. the V4 and S5 were made for that strange people called Americans, that want a 3000 boxes scope for 1.500... I moved my V6 on 3 rifles, after ending the rifle, it managed several thousands rounds, of which about 600 in 338 Lapua, 3 African safaris, hunts in the snow at -20 Celsius etc. Never had a problem

Im actually not a huge fan of either the V4 or V6. In my opinion, the V4 should be around $600 and the V6 around $1k. I've had 2 V6's that have had warranty claims. One was a failed parallax and the other a crooked reticle. For the price of the V6, it should have the feel, durability, and overall quality of say an NF NX8, March, etc but it doesn't. Mushy turrets, distorted glass, etc. The V6 just isn't a $2k optic.

Last edited:
I'd recommend looking through both. I have a V4 6-24 and spent quite a bit of time weighing up between the Zeiss, Swaro Z5 and Leupold VX5.

On paper the Zeiss met my requirements much better than the others. However, at the range I find the parallax adjustment very finicky and hard to find the sweet spot for my eyes. It's not an issue in the field but I find it tiring to look though when I have an evening at the range for load development etc.

More recently I had a look through a V6 and I found that it was much easier on my eyes. I also have a V8 on my main hunting rifle and that is another level.

I'm a strong supporter of Zeiss but if I was doing it again I'd probably opt to spend a little more on a V6.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.