Your sidearm choice

I am doing well, thank you! I am still carrying the 365XL every day, the same one. I will admit I don't regular maintenance mine as often as I probably should but I have no issues of any kind other than rust. If I remember right these 365 family pistols are stainless steel with a black finish, but I had rust issues with mine and my son with his. The slide rusts, the barrel rusts, the front sight rusts, the striker cover rusts, the slide stop and take down lever rust. Nothing in the rails or FCU has rusted at all. We are in HOT weather country and the pistols get sweat on them regularly, mine will be wet with sweat for months on end daily. Other than that, no issues at all and it still shoots great even with some minor pitting in the bore that was my fault entirely and it looks fairly beat up now because of the rust and just miles I have put on it. I have the rust under control on the outside of the pistol using some stuff called Frog Lube, it took several applications following the instructions to the letter but the rust has slowed way down or stopped depending on the location. It's important to follow the directions or the Frog Lube doesn't work well at all, I figured that out the hard way. The barrel and bore rust has stopped completely, I am using a very light coat of grease on everything inside including the bore. I use Brian Enos Slide Glide Lite, it has stopped the rust cold and the pistol functions perfectly using it. If your son lives somewhere it gets extremely cold I'd be sure to test the pistol using grease before trusting it.

If I had to do it again I would still buy the 365XL. Since my earlier posts I have shot several others in similar sizes. The Hellcat is nice for sure, nice pistol but prefer the grip and the trigger on the 365 by a lot. I have looked at a few others and the grip and overall size of the 365 pistols just works better for me. The trigger on the 365 pistols is also better to me than anything else in the class. I'd take more care of it if I got a new one, more regular maintenance and start right out of the gate with the Frog Lube and grease I am doing now.

A G19 or any of the Glocks are good to great pistols, tough as a brick but unfortunately for me they feel like a brick also. I have tried to like them a few times, have owned 7-8 of them and at no point in many thousands of rounds have they pointed naturally for me or felt good in hand. Reliable and accurate but not for me.

Good luck and take care.
Thank you, very helpful and re-assuring. Much appreciated

yesterday, I got my concealed carry permit here in PA. Now, I'm looking for some training and a pair of carry pistols. I think I want two: a compact for conceal carry to protect my family, and a full frame open carry bear stopper for when I'm bowhunting. I figured I'd see what the community prefers. I do not plan on hunting with either, they're just for protection again people and black bears respectfully.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone.
Glock

It depends upon the expected use for the sidearm!

If for everyday carry, where the expected encounter will be a human, or sub species thereof…..a Springfield XDS in 45 ACP with 2 spare mags! Ammo is a 230 grain JHP……generally Gold Dots!

If hunting in timber with my handgun…..it will be my 8 3/8" S&W 460 XVR, which admittedly a bit slow from a cross-chest holster! If merely "bumbling around" in bear country, it will be the above mentioned XVR until…..I can get a 5" XVR! Ammo will be home-cast, 400 grain wide metplat, powder—coated bullets @ just under 1600 mv!

If rifle hunting……the handgun is at camp! memtb

What ever you decide, practice practice practice!
Caliber/cartridge for me depends on expected level of threat.
My personal requirement is DA/SA, hammer dropped, no external safety.

been these two lately....

IMG_5373.JPEG

Recent Posts