Votes: 171 33.8%
  • 61 to 80 yards

Votes: 111 21.9%
  • 81 to 100 yards

Votes: 40 7.9%
  • Over 100 yards

Votes: 30 5.9%

• Total voters
I shot a stienbuck at 62 yrds., they are 8" at the shoulder,lazered then zipped him

Lasered bobcat @ 72 (angle compensated, steep downhill so it was probably more lie 80 true distance).

Elk @ 67 (downhill as well).

Afraid to push past 80 with my current setup.. Looking for something with a little more speed and energy.

For those guys who answerd "over 100 yards" - I'd be interested in hearing you biggest fish story too.

chamois and tahr hunting in the southern alps of new zealand requires some really long range shots, my best was 112yds on a buck chamois, i practice every day at home and when i do go hunting the chamois and tahr i do like to be reasonably successful!

Just found this site and am glad to finally find others that love long range with a bow. I practice almost every day. My backyard practice range extends to a hey bale @ 140 yards. It's covered with a white sheet with a black circle the size of the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket.

My longest kill so far was a doe last year at 50 yards. My proudest moment was also last year with a nice Ohio buck at 45 yards while I was sitting on the ground. Practice from every position really pays off when it counts the most.

For those guys who answerd "over 100 yards" - I'd be interested in hearing you biggest fish story too.

That's funny!
You know if you ask questions like this then challenge someones word then why even ask. JK

15 1/2 inch antelope 93 yards.

missed the first shot by three feet due to the wind and the second shot at 90 yards before the third and final at 93 yards for the kill. The Antelope never took a step and dropped in about 10 seconds.

I hunt a lot of flat prairie and have taken several animals in the 50-75 yard range. Its no different than the long range gunners. Know your weapon, ballistics and practice, practice, practice. Knowing anatomy helps a great deal and combined with the fore mentioned can turn a lot of unsuccessful hunts into successful hunts.

Cheers!

Cheers!

Last edited:
The lack of Hypocracy on here amazes and pleases me. Nice to know the long range community understands. Longest kill shot with archery tackle is 114 yards ranged. I have 4 one arrow kills over 100 yards now.

On the flip side I have blown way more stalks( hundreds if not thousands) trying to get closer then I have ever taken at distance ( my max range on an animal is 120 yards). I use a bow because I got tired of being a shooter instead of a hunter with my firearms. I return to being a shooter if it means not filling a tag for meat in the freezer. Same for both archery and firearms. I have over 30 kills at <35 yards archery and 2 kills within 3 feet.

I shoot a Hoyt Turbo Tech 82# shooting Easton Axis 425gr total arrow weight, Sonoran( now known as Shwacker) broadheads Pushing 110fps.

I enjoy being a hunter, but in this day and age I cannot afford to waste tags by not filling them. I have no problems spending most of a season trying to get as close as possible. I also dont have any problems launching to my max distance to fill a freezer if my hunting abilities come up short.

with a new modern bow and a site like a sureloc 100 yards or more isn't out of the realm. I know a guy who shoots animals all the time even out to 120 yards. he is a PSE pro staffer. its all about how much you are willing to practice, 60 yards is pretty much a chip shot. I can't see why anyone thinks thats a long shot. in utah you better be able to shoot some distance because closer shots just don't happen that much. I shot a buck this year at 81 yards.

My bad. That should have read 310 or so feet per second. I can also drop an arrow size, turn about 5 pounds off the bow (to keep the spine on, my groups open up a bunch if I don't tune it down) and get another 10 to 15 fps. But it also knocks off a bit of ke. And makes shooting in the wind harder. So I usually stick with the heaviier arrows.

60 yds big doe slightly faceing toward me. With a piston head 100 gr mathews bow with no wind. The deer didnt even know what happend. The next year tryed it again with the deer watching me and it looked like something off matrix.
lightbulb

72 yards on a Barbados Sheep but the only reason I took a shot like that was cuz my sister did not make the best first shot. But like everyone has already mentioned it's only cuz I shoot a lot of competitions so I do a lot of shooting out to 100 yards and am very confident in my form however bow hunting is all about the top pin 20 yards and in if u want to kill them a long ways out bring your gun... But that's just me. But I did see a man named Jim cox take a pig off his ranch at 130 yards BUT he also had a site made by archers choice just for 80+ yard shooting ...

6x6 bull elk in Arizona in 2008. Lasered at 60 yards. The arrow, with a Shuttle-T Lock 100 grain broadhead, passed completely through both lungs and the heart. Bow used was a 2002 Browning Mirage set at 65 lbs.