Your guns group size at 600 yards ?

Maina

Just trying to see what people's guns are getting .
I'm shooting a Christiansen arms 300 ultra mag and getting 2 inch groups at 600 yards.
There is one thing that bugs me , and I don't know if it should .
I'm shooting 200 grain accubond 90 grains rotumbo and with that I'm only getting 3000 feet per second out of a 26 inch barrel . I could go with more powder and I have and I hit 3200 fps but the groups where 1 moa I dropped the powder charge and it shoots great should I work harder at getting a good load that's sub moa and get that high speed or just be happy with a 3000 fps tack driver ?

Shooting .3's @ 3000 fps is pretty solid. If I had a RUM I would just be happy that my gun prefered to live longer than living fast and dying young (like most RUMs).

Although I do see your point where it would be kind of irritating and pointless to have an ULTRA mag that performs like a standard magnum... I'm getting those speeds out of my .300 Ackley shooting 210/215 Bergers with only 74 grains of 7828 SSC, and I still haven't reached pressure signs yet.

Last edited:
I agree with Mudd.
You are getting 2" groups @600 with a 200 grain bullet running 3000 fps.
That's plenty of kill if you ask me...

My friend, if you're shooting .3 MOA at 600 yards why the heck would you want to screw that up with further development. Increasing MV isn't going to do squat to improve that kind of accuracy. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Oh, one more thing. Be sure to enter the next long range match in your area. You may very well take home the bacon.

My friend, if you're shooting .3 MOA at 600 yards why the heck would you want to screw that up with further development. Increasing MV isn't going to do squat to improve that kind of accuracy. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Oh, one more thing. Be sure to enter the next long range match in your area. You may very well take home the bacon.

Amengun)

It would bug me that it wasn't shooting full Veloctiy when my win mag was getting just a hair over 2900 with 215's but when you have that kind of accuracy I wouldn't change a thing! I have a new rifle that I've shot my best group ever at 600 yards but haven't shot enough to really know how it will shoot from day to day and if it's repeatable! If it is, I won't change a thing.

Thanks every one . I never saw the plus side that I could get more life out of the gun , sounds good . The only thing I will change is putting a new night force on the gun next year . I have a sightron xiii 6-24 x50 . I like it and it works but it's a B scope and I want a A+ scope on it . What's funny my son has the weatherby 300 mag Accu guard with a 24 inch barrel and he is getting better groups than me . I wish I could figure out how to post some of our pics because this is driving me nuts !

His scope is a vortex viper LR 6-24x50 .
And this is the funny part he won't do the dial ups ! He likes the moa hash marks he said he new how to shoot long rang like that because he's an online gamer and knew how to shoot long-range with hash marks because of all the sniper game he plays I couldn't believe it even if I told him it was 7.25 MOA bang bull's-eye !

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.