Young man Hammers his first deer

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
Not a really long range shot, but pretty long for a first time hunter.

Took this young man out yesterday when he got out of school as his dad is out of town. Hiked into one of my favorite spots for whitetail and set up on a ridge to watch the thick brushy basin in front of us. Not long after starting to glass I found this little 3pt buck. He was right at 400y. We found a good spot to set him up on my rifle because I was just not sure of the drop with his rifle.

Got a couple of backpack tucked in on a short stump and the rifle laid in nice and steady. The rifle is a Sako action .338 Lapua imp with a 30" Lilja barrel braked with a medium Pain Killer turned down to min dia. Topped with Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20 moa-moa. Rifle is shooting 285g Hammer Hunters at a vel of 3117fps. As we got set up the deer disappeared into some brush. I assured him that if we waited long enough he would reappear. Sure enough about 15min later he worked back out into a clear spot. 408y now still good for the 2moa that I had dialed. I told him that as soon as he turns broad side to go ahead and click the safety off and start the squeeze just behind the shoulder. BOOM...deer drops without so much as a twitch. We hiked our way down, across, and up the other side of the basin to find this nice buck. Got the pics, cleaning, and tagging done. Then drug him to a road that we could get a game cart to. 10:30 last night we had him hung up in his garage. I am a bit sore today, must be getting old.

Bullet performance was perfect. No meat damage and dropped on the spot. Here are some pics.
Cole deer 4.jpeg
Happy young man.

Cole deer3.jpeg
Exit wound 2-3"

Cole deer2.jpeg
Shot was about 3" high of aim point, not a bad shot. Completely took out top of lungs.

Cole deer1.jpeg
Entrance on the right side of pic and exit on the left. Very good expansion of a big bullet in a short distance.

Steve

......I am a bit sore today, must be getting old.......

Congratulations! Very nice!

I can hardly turn my head today-glassing for deer yesterday. Lord knows what being successful would feel like

This was the first time in quite a few years that I drug a deer with a small guy. When my son was that age I was younger and it did not seem so bad. With each year that went by my son got bigger and stronger faster than I got weaker, so I really did not notice the difference so much other than the times that he would drag the deer faster than I could keep up. :cool: Everything hurts today, but would do it over again tomorrow.

Steve

The painkiller brake must be working well if you'll let a youngster shoot your 338.

Now we just need painkillers for the rest of our bodies. :)

Nice story and bullet performance looks very good too.

The painkiller brake must be working well if you'll let a youngster shoot your 338.

Now we just need painkillers for the rest of our bodies. :)

Nice story and bullet performance looks very good too.

Yes I am happy with the PK. The young guy is 80lbs soaking wet. He was not bothered by the recoil at all.

Skinned the deer yesterday and got a better story on the bullet. On side showed a caliber hole in the hide. Going into the rib cage showed bullet beginning to open with the hole about .5". Exit was pretty large, probably 4" of destruction on the off side exit. Indicating that the bullet was still opening as it exited. Distance traveled inside the deer about 6-8". All in all very happy with a large bullet on a relatively small target. Particularly happy with the fact that the bullet was opening in the 1st inch of penetration. I would say the bullet had completely opened and shed the petals and the large petals continuing in the bullet path are the responsible part of the large exit. Petals on this size of bullet would be in the 20g range.

Steve

Well the Smile Says It All! Good for him, I love to see the New Generations getting into hunting! Makes for a lifetime of Memories!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.