Wyoming

IdahoJoe

Looks like I am moving to torrington.

I am trying to figure out wyomings hunting regs with minimal luck. Can some one explain from the basics. Is there a hunting license, how to read the regs etc. I read some where that you can hunt coyotes with out a license is this true.

thanks

You can hunt prairie dogs, coyotes and jack rabbits without a license. Season on them is 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

As for hunting other games, the state is divided into 'areas'. You apply for the game you want, in the area you want. They hold a lottery and you have to get lucky and get drawn. Even if you are not drawn there are sometimes left over licenses that you can buy over-the-counter.

Thanks for all the info

so my father in law can come hunt with out purchasing a license?

so any thing that is not labeled general hunt is a draw tag?

is one general elk talk good for all the general hunts or is it divided up into zones?

are the preference points for out of state only?

thanks again.

Thanks for all the info

so my father in law can come hunt with out purchasing a license?

so any thing that is not labeled general hunt is a draw tag?

is one general elk talk good for all the general hunts or is it divided up into zones?

are the preference points for out of state only?

thanks again.

I can answer one of your questions:

Yes, even if you're from out of state, you do not need a license to hunt varmints (prairie dogs, coyotes, jack rabbits) in WY. I know because I'm from VA and I've hunted varmints in WY after talking to a game warden about it.

You will have to reside in the state for a full year to get a resident tag. the best thing would be to get online and look over the regulations. Deer and Elk can be had over the counter so to speak for general areas only. Other areas will be limited quota that you must apply for. Antelope is limited quota everywhere but much easier to get. hope that helps.

Wyoming is an awesome place to hunt on a general tag. General tag allows you to hunt 90+% of the state. Deer, bear, wolf and Elk are general (over the counter) tags. Each area on the hunting map has defined borders and the season dates can vary from one area to the next. If you want to hunt a specific area, such as a special park permit for the national park north of Jackson, you need to put in for that specific area. If you don't draw that tag you can still buy a general tag. General elk, in most areas for most of the season, means you can shoot any elk. Different areas have dates that go from any elk to bull only or cow only.

Any license not issued in the draw goes on sale at half price later (often times there are out of state cow/calf elk leftovers too that can be purchased over the counter). You can buy your general elk tag and then purchase a half price cow/calf tag when they go on sale (2 elk is nice). Antelope, bighorn sheep, buffalo and moose are all special draw tags. If you draw a moose tag you can't put in for moose for 5 years. Moose and bighorns are on a point system. Buffalo is random every year. Wyoming draws based on the point system for some animals but they put in 25% of that specie's tags into the general draw (4 moose tags in an area 3 are issued based on points and 1 is drawn from everyone regardless of points).

One notable difference from most states is the hunter has to carry his/her hunter safety card in the field. You must reside here for one full year before you can purchase in state tags, and if you hunt in another state this year as a resident it postpones that for one additional year (I think). If you don't fill your tags here you were too lazy to get out and hunt or you held out for a ginormous one and didn't find it. Big game hunting here is awesome!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.