Wyoming Region R mule deer hunt

bhunting

Hey, I am planning a Wy mule deer hunt with a buddy and we have done a ton of research and have studied maps and everything else for weeks. We have looked at regions R,F, and H and I think we have settled on R. Neither of us have hunted this area before and are planning on hunting for 9 days. We would like to pack in around 4-6 miles and hunt from there. My question is are we going to run into alot of other hunters and are there some good deer in this area? Our plans are to hunt way north in unit 53 I think. It looks to have some great higher country and some really good break country to the west. Any help would be great! THANKS!

Oh, and another question. He has 2 preference pts and I have zero. We want to guarantee that we both get to hunt. My understanding is that if we apply together they will split the pts and we both will have 100% success. Is that correct?

Last edited:
I've been thinking about doing the same unit, but not backpacking in due to the terrain we're talking about. However, I can't get anybody to go this year, so I guess I'll hunt my regular spot with my resident friends again. There are supposed to be pretty decent numbers of deer and some good bucks in 53, but the success rate is low due to the tough country. That combination of things is why I want to go there in the next couple years. Yes, if you put in as a party they will average your 2PPs and you should draw the tags with 1 PP. Let me know how the hunt goes if you do it with an email to me please. My addy is: [email protected]

That is the same info I got on 53 also. I have been told to prepare for some tough country but the reward is good if a guy hunts hard. We are gonna hunt for 9 days so hopefully that will be enuf. I will keep you posted after the hunt. And thanks for the answer on the pts.

No problem! I'll be buying another PP this summer and will have 3 for the 2102 draw. Keep me posted on what happens and if the area is good maybe the 3 of us will have to split my 3 PPs in 2012 and you can be my guide!!!

I can only hope it's that good! I don't like going in blind but we both hunt very hard and have been rewarded in the past. gun)

I hunt hard too, but at 63 I won't do it by myself any more in an area like we are talking about. I wish you luck! Hunt hard, have a good time, be safe and let me know the results of your trip.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.