mule deer region m wyoming???

I've hunted Region M most years since 1994, but not way down in unit 36. Unit 36 has been an 8 day season for bucks only for years because of the low deer population there. It's actually a very remote area and a long way to the nearest town, motel, gas, etc. If you hunt it, I strongly suggest you have a good 4x4 with 10 ply tires and chains (just in case there is moisture during your time there), a good camper or tent to weather out a sudden storm, plenty of extra gas, as well as food, etc. in case you get stuck in there because the roads are very poor. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but there are a lot better places to go than 36. If you want to draw a Regional tag with plenty of good public land and access, my suggestion is to take a look at Region Y. There is a lot of public land all the way along the Big Horns from the Montana line down to the south end of it on the whole west side of the Region.

Last edited:
Seems like you know alot about hunting Wyoming.. got advice on deer and elk hunting in regions F, J, M, T in Wyoming? I like hunting deep and packing in when i can and using horses. Which of these regions is the best? Can i get away from the crowd in any of these regions if i pack in and hunt hard and deep? how are the game populations and shot opportunity percentages in these regions? i would be happy with a buck over 145 and a decent 5x5 elk, because I have only taken rwo mulies and one elk, im just not ready to shoot a buck or a bull that is a babyAny advice would be most appreciated...Would you be interested in hunting in the eastern appalachian mountains for deer, bear and turkey, my way of returnign the favor of your advice...?

If I had access to horses or mules for a good DIY hunt for both deer and elk like you're talking about, I would go up in Region H out of Pinedale in deer units 138-140 and hug the wilderness area boundary up there since you have to have a guide or licensed resident to take you into the wilderness itself. I think you could take both animals of that size or better that you're talking about if you have the time and patience to do it up there.

Thanks so much? How hard is it to draw that unit? you know much about the other regions i ask about? any of them that are not so hard to draw and would be your second recommendation? you care anything for hunting the eastern mountains?

The below picture is part of area M. The picture was taken from Hwy 14A.

I've hunted there a lot, for elk and deer.

Look at the picture. You'll see tree lines and above, the mountain is free of trees.

We all know that deer bed up during the day and come out in the evening. Most come down. Not so with the huge deer you'll find in the Big Horns.

The big bucks go up, in the evening the leave the tree line and go up to feed.

If you was to take a spike camp up during the day and set up and wait you''ll find some monster bucks.

If you're on foot, spend the night and pack out during the next day. If you have horses its a different matter. Horses know the way back to camp and will take you home safely in the dark.

Bighorns.jpg

That is not a picture of Region M. That picture is way up in the northern part of Region R in the mountains near Burgess Junction where highway 14A splits off 14 and goes to Powell. It gets closed during the winter once the snow really starts getting deep up there and 14 is the only way across the northern part of the mountains in the winter down through Shell. That area up there that he's talking about doesn't hold a huge number of deer, but it would be another good area for a good buck and/or bull DIY horseback type hunt. Region M is way south of there and goes south from Highway 16, which is its northern boundary. That highway goes from Buffalo over the mountains to Worland. Region M goes south all the way down to Highway 20, which is the southern boundary of unit 36 within Region M and that highway runs between Casper and Shoshoni. Region M really doesn't have anything remote enough to do what you're talking about as the east side is what we would still consider the foothills of the Bighorns with elevations no higher than about 8,000' and it's almost all private land on the entire east side of that Region.
I have my hands full hunting out in Wyoming every Fall because I like the fact that we can hunt elk, deer and antelope. This year I'll be heading out there on 9/12 until 11/3 and then head to ND for pheasants with my pointer for a week before coming back to MI for our 2 week whitetail season the last half of November at my place up north.Wyoming has really spoiled me for hunting whitetails here in MI after hunting out there so many years and I'll continue putting all my effort into that for another 10 years or more until I can't do the hunting out west any longer due to my age. The reason I suggested what I did in my initial answer to your question is because that area down north and east of Pinedale would be what you really envision for a horseback type primitive hunt in an area that has wolves and grizzlies because it is some really wild country. Buy a PP before 9/30 for deer ($40) and elk ($50) and start applying next Spring and then continue buying PPs when you apply each year until you draw.I would have to check the drawing odds on the G&F website to answer your other question and you can really do that yourself. Region R is a shoein with 1 PP for deer, so you could do that hunt next year. Many units require several or more PPs for elk. Give a shout if you run into any problems or need any more help.
Edit: 1 PP should get a tag in Region H for deer if things hold up next year like this past draw.The elk units would be 96-98 and you would have to put in for them individually and only be able to hunt one if you happened to get drawn. Unit 96 was 100% draw with 0 PPs. Unit 97 was 100% draw with 1 PP. Unit 98 is a huge unit several times bigger than the other two put together, but most of it goes way to the south and isn't the unit I would elk hunt in and it took 2 PPs for a 100% draw chance.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.