Wyoming region H help please!

Longshot284

Hey guys - looking for anyone with experience in Wyoming region H. Here's my situation: I live in central Nebraska. Like most, my dad got me into hunting. He's taken a bunch of absolute slammer whitetails in the last 4 decades of hunting. But never a Muley. I started hunting the western half of Nebraska exclusively, along with a few other western states chasing Muley and antelope. I have taken my father with me on most of these hunts and he is now hooked on those styles of hunt. He is 61 years old and, for 61 with a heart attack at age 40, he's in great shape. Not uncommon for us to do 10-13 miles in the Sandhills per day. He works out most days of the week.

Here's the pickle, he would have the opportunity to draw region H for the 2020 season. However, he is late enough to the game that we are questioning his physical ability to hunt region H. One of the bigger hang ups is sleeping on the ground, simply put if he ain't sleeping well he ain't hunting long. No doubt he can get all over a mountain but if we throw up a tent and sleep on the thermarest, he will be coming off the mountain after one night. In western Nebraska we day hunt and then sleep in his comfy camper :)

I have never laid eyes on region H. Is it possible to hunt maybe one of the more eastern units and have any success? Obviously he is eager and willing to hike all day but is pretty clear on his need for something more than a pad to sleep on. What I see of the region on the interwebs is all really high country stuff. After well over 100 miles on foot over the last 3 years he has yet to shoot a Muley. Hate to have him pass this region to hunt something like region C because of easier terrain and closer to home. Anybody have any insight to help our decision? Not looking for a booner - the first mature buck will tickle him pink!

You can set up camp at some of the trailheads like s cottonwood, nylander, most side roads along n cottonwood, McDougal,
the upper green, cliff ck, fishermen ck in Bondurant, shoal ck, granite ck, in the gros ventre, southwest of big sandy, scab ck, pretty much the edges of where forest service borders Blm. But everyone else wants to sleep in campers and shoot a nice 4x4 so parking spots can be full. Some trailheads are a little tight to set up a camp, like some cliff creek side roads. And understand that a good portion of DIY on public around here is started in the morning by going vertical, walking up logging roads or a game trail. Hooking up with a ranch that has some timber and flowing water can be less strenuous if you can find someone to say yes. You could stumble into a nice buck in the desert but that isn't the norm. At least not till after Thanksgiving. Historically better success for shooting a trophy muley is by hunting them the same as sheep, at timberline, poking into the draws and canyons. Spot and stalk.

At his age and point creep, probably a one time deal for a good Wyoming area. I'd look at a guided hunt for H. That's not easy country to hunt and if you don't have time to scout, you might be disappointed. Most of eastern Wyoming is private. And what isn't is usually crowed. You could look at 34, 87 & 87 if he has the points...

You can Google " sublette county gis " go to "mapserver", in the layers choose "public lands", then on top click on the "i" then click on any piece of land it will tell you the owners info including acreage.
One other spot ide consider setting up camp is gunsight pass in the gros centre. You drive through Kelly wy then head east/se up the gros ventre.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.