Wyoming Pronghorns & Wind

Varmint Hunter

I have booked a trip to Casper Wyoming and will be hunting Pronghorns and PD's this fall.

Been working up a load for the pronghorns which will work well in the anticipated wind. I've got a good load using the 162gr A-Max (BC .625) and the 150SMK (BC .439).

The SMK has a lower BC but has a 100 ft/sec velocity advantage. The down side to the A-Max is that it must be single loaded due to its looong nose profile which will not allow it to fit in the magazine even if set back .020".

Both loads shoot < 1" @ 200 yards.

Which way would you guys go?

VH

Forgot to mention, rifle is a 7STW.

What range do you intend to shoot? In your 7 STW the 160 Nosler Accubond would work for long shots and feed. Accubonds have been very accurate. Pronghorn are pretty small. Even a Nosler BT would be more than enough bullet. I always worry about match bullets with a really light skinned animal. Just a thought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

both will work.. but the single feed thing could pose a real problem .. if you miss and the goat runs into the next draw...
practice shooting in wind....

do you know what area you'll be in...?

looks like we'll be south of Casper....

I'm going to go against Ric and say go with the heavier bullet even though it is a SS. The higher BC will buck the wind better allowing you to do the proper thing- make the first shot count! I have never felt handicapped with a single shot rifle, but that's just me. Shots can be long on speed goats and even though they are smaller than deer and thinner skinned you have a good combination for the Wyoming "breeze"!

oh I see how you are.... gunsmith knows more than wanna be gunsmith.... ( truth is he does ) but don't tell him....

he does have a point...

i look at deer sized game needing about 800 ft lbs of energy .... run your numbers see where you have 800 ft lbs... know that is about your max range....

then shoot alot....in the wind.. truth be told .. I like the heavies too!

I'm hoping to take a shot between 400yds - 600 yards. The rifle is an established performer in that range. My biggest concern is the wind. The 162gr A-Max has the highest BC of any bullet that will stabilize in my 10" twist - at least that I know of. I think almost ANY bullet will kill pronghorns if placed properly and the A-Max should be deadly on thin skinned game.

Ric
How much wind should I expect on a fall day in Casper anyway?
Not sure exactly where we will be hunting but I'll be staying in Casper and hunting in that area. The guide submitted the specific area information on our tag applications.

VH

VH,

Well.... you could have 75* and calm.... or 75* and 15-20 mph winds that are blowing in a cold front and the next day have 35* temps and winds 5-10 mph...

what I suggest is that a day when most shooters are inside making bullets because of wind go shoot in it and see what your rifle does and write it down...

you honestly need to know 5mph, 10mph, 15 mph, and 20mph drifts... the area around Casper is "high desert" very very open....nothing to block the wind....

Thanks Ric.

I keep a chart taped to the stock with the wind drift @ 10mph. Its easy to double or half; providing of course, that I can figure out what the wind is averaging between me and the target.

When I'm shooting varmints I always use an electronic wind gauge and directional flag but it only tells me what the wind is doing where I'm standing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

WIND - It keeps us working for the hits that count. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I just double checked on max range based on your figure of 800 ft/lbs. of terminal energy. At 1,000yds the 162gr A-Max is still loping along at 1,728 ft/sec with 1,075 ft/lbs of energy. That's based on a muzzle velocity of 3,050 which is easily obtainable in the 7STW.

Of course there would be nearly 5' of wind (10mph) at that distance too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

VH

I don't know much about A-max, but a 7STW velocities at close range will over power lots of bullets. I suggest you consider an additonal bullet that is a lot tougher in case you wind up with a surprising close shot. Then you would have a long range bullet and a short range bullet. Been there and made that mistake on mule deer - 800 yd bullet at 40 yards doesn't work. At least the one I was using.

Hunted the San Rafael desert for five days scanning for antelope. In the end the buck was so lonely for company that it came running to me at full speed and I took the shot at about 50 yards with him on a dead run for me. 25-06 with 100 gr partition dead center in the chest almost no meat ruined. The very last thing I ever expected from an antelope.

Hunting is full of surprises and that is what makes it interesting, otherwise we would all just shoot benchrest.

Hope you have a good time.

buffalobob,

Interesting thought - maybe I'll bring a few 160gr Accubonds just in case.

I originally thought about using them but them seem to be a bit of overkill for pronghorns. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

VH

in response to the question about wind around casper:

Last fall most of our shooting was in 10-25 mph wind south of casper. The wind ships around pretty bad in this part of the state, probably why the wind farm had to install breaks on the windmills.

I would seriously consider the 160 Accubond.. a little birdie whispered in my ear and I bet a few of us in our group will be shooting accubonds from .284 rifles....

[ QUOTE ]
I have booked a trip to Casper Wyoming and will be hunting Pronghorns and PD's this fall.

Been working up a load for the pronghorns which will work well in the anticipated wind. I've got a good load using the 162gr A-Max (BC .625) and the 150SMK (BC .439).

The SMK has a lower BC but has a 100 ft/sec velocity advantage. The down side to the A-Max is that it must be single loaded due to its looong nose profile which will not allow it to fit in the magazine even if set back .020".

Both loads shoot < 1" @ 200 yards.

Which way would you guys go?

VH

Forgot to mention, rifle is a 7STW.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about using a game bullet? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I have been killing them for years. Anywhere from 50 yds to 501 yds. I have used Nosler Partitions, Ballistic tips, Hornady Interlocks Rem Core locts etc. Calibers used range from 6mm Rem to 416 WBY Mag (yes just for fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Here is the 501 yds with a 264 Win Mag 125 Nosler Partition at 3350 fps.

264buck04.jpg

This one is at 452 yds with a 416 WBY Mag-- 330 GS Custom at 3100 fps!

416doe.jpg

POP,

I guess I could use my 460WBY mag but the thought of firing more than 1 full-house 500grain round sends chills up my spine. I think the pronghorn would get the better end of that deal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll do some load development with the 160 Accubond. I'd also be interested to see if it will fit in the magazine. Seems like none of the polymere tipped bullets do.

VH

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts