Wyoming now allowing 3 elk licenses!

Do you have to draw all three tags or can you purchase them over the counter?

I purchased 2 cow elk type 6 over the counter this year.... I could have bought a general bull too.... I guess??? Anyway hunting area 102...anybody have any info on that unit?

G&F is just trying to make money off the tags that don't usually all sell. The extra license you're able to purchase must be for an exception area which are the units that have a hard time selling out. Not a bad idea, in my opinion. Some people are freaking out thinking G&F is going to kill off all the elk, but that's not the case; quotas have already been set, they're just not being met.

True story, I could get a 3rd elk tag to eat instead of just two, but it does give me the option of getting to hunt longer if I can still afford the fuel.

Elkoholic307 is right on the button in that all they are trying to do is get more animals taken from the areas that aren't selling out the available tags and that are above objective in elk numbers. If it takes one person shooting 3, instead of three different people shooting them, there is no real difference in number killed. I haven't even bought a tag for the area I hunt yet, but I could buy 3 cow tags right now with just a click of the mouse, LOL!

I was told that they changed to 3 because it was a " dry" year and there isn't enough feed so they trying to thin the herds to reduce winter kill. Makes sence to me but so does tryin to make more money. I myself took advantage of it and the edge and me will be having some long range fun this winter.

I doubt the weather had anything to do with it, as elk can make it through a lot easier than deer and antelope in dry years and they didn't really increase the number they want taken by doing what they did. I think it's more that they figured that people who already have one or two licenses will be in those units with tags and would probably be prone to buying an extra one compared to somebody that doesn't even have a hunt planned this late in the game. I would think the residents would really jump on it in some units as cheap as those tags are compared to what our NR tags cost.

In some of the areas with extra tags, the hunting is tough, especially without snow. It is however a long range hunters dream. Last year most of our set ups were 700+ yards, with the exception of a cow at 50 yards with no shot due to the location of my partner.

I'm thinking AR as I probably won't want to track them down again after taking care of and packing out 1 or 2. Just drop 3 and be done with it!:D

My brother, dad and I would usually get general and an extra cow each so we would have 6 for the 3 of us. After my brother and I decided to fill our 4 on a herd of cows one night and having to pack them all out the next day and butcher them all - my close loved ones told me to shove the extra cow tags up my butt. The warden asked where and I didn't lie, I should have, my buddies that stayed another week weren't so happy with me. Loads of people came after we left. Those left over tags are good for people that enjoy hunting and help feed other people but it isn't good to shoot a bunch of elk out of your favorite area either. Have you ever seen a hill so steep you have trouble going up the side and then have an avalanche of dead elk come down it and then have to dodge them so you don't get killed?:D It could have been worse if pa was there too. My loved ones now get one tag!:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.