Wyoming help!!!

califoriahunter

I'm looking to go to Wyoming this next year and was wondering if anyone can help with what unit I should try and hunt with only 2 points? I'm not looking for a trophy just a good hunt with public land for me and my wife this will be her first hunt!

I'm looking to go to Wyoming this next year and was wondering if anyone can help with what unit I should try and hunt with only 2 points? I'm not looking for a trophy just a good hunt with public land for me and my wife this will be her first hunt!

Best bet is call local game warden areas and just politely ask for some tips. The Wyoming website is great but confusing. Just don't let them know your from California, lol

Better hurry...tommorrow is the last day to apply!

Not quite! The application deadline for deer and antelope isn't until June 1! Elk is next Monday for nonresidents, since tomorrow falls on a weekend and it goes to the first business day of the following week. Go into the odds section of the G&F website and write down all of the units that could be drawn last year with 2PPs in the regular NR PP draw and if you want to spend more money for better odds look in the special higher priced PP draw also. When you do that you will see an * that the G&F shows for units that they call hard to access public lands. That can be deceiving because now everyone should have a GPS with landowner chip before you venture out there. If you can find a spot or two in some units where a public road hits a parcel of BLM or state property many times it will open up a lot of acreage if you're willing to do some walking. Do your homework and then come back when you narrow your search down and I'll help you out, but first you need to get used to how to do research on your own. I've been out there most years since the 90s hunting deer, elk, and/or antelope. My buddy got this buck while we were after a good one I had waypointed before the season opened last year. He made the all time B&C record book with a final official net score of 84 4/8" with just 1 3/8" of deducts. His horn lengths were 16" and 16 4/8". Don't expect to get one like that on your first outing, but you never know!

Attachments

• Wyoming 2014 097.jpg
    Wyoming 2014 097.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 75
Thanks TG, you educated me a little today. I didn't know the weekend carryover. That's good info. I buy leftovers for goats in WY, and we have plenty deer here in ND so no need to apply for those.

Ya forget it I'm just going to put in for unit 27 not the best unit in the state but looks like a good one to start with! And he'll if there are no goats in from California I'm used to no seeing much while hunting lol

Ya forget it I'm just going to put in for unit 27 not the best unit in the state but looks like a good one to start with! And he'll if there are no goats in from California I'm used to no seeing much while hunting lol

Wimped out in less than 2 days! I'll help people out a lot, but I'm not going to tell them which tree to sit next to so they can shoot a Booner, LOL! You've got 4 months to do plenty of research, which IMHO is a big part of a hunt, and already gave up! Just be aware that unit 27 was less than a 50% chance to draw a tag in the Regular PP Draw last year with 2 PPs and it won't get any better this coming season. If you stay with it and draw it, come back and ask and I'll tell you right where to go, as that's one I hunted several years ago and it's a good unit. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.