Wyoming Draw Changed up for Buffalo

Tikkamike

Putting in my tags this morning and Wyoming has yet again changed what was not broken. Now to apply for Buffalo instead of paying $10-$15 and being assigned a number then if your number comes up you pay for the tag..NOW you pay for the tag up front $416 and if you dont draw you get a refund check. I dont know if Preference points will be issued or not yet but that would be kind of nice.

That sux Mike, but the way it is done here in MT too. We have to pony up hundreds $$$ to sit in their hands and then we get a refund less application fees for non successful draws. For preference points you have to buy them.

Sometimes it stops me from applying for those moose sheep and goat tags that I know I will probably not draw anyway.

Jeff

The state gets to draw interest on our money for a period of time, oh well maybe a lot of people won't enter and gives the ones that do a better chance to draw.

They talked about doing the same thing years ago in BC with the grizzly tags because Fish and Wildlife couldn't manage the harvest they never knew how many tree huggers applied for the tag and ripped it up. At least this way only serious hunters need apply, might increase your chances in the future.

The Wy Fish and Game had a perceived problem this is supposed to fix. Hunters would get high on the bison list and then not buy the tag or hunt. Some hunters would wait to see if the weather would co-operate before they committed to buying the tags. Not a cheap tag so why buy the tag if there are no animals off the park to hunt? I suspect fewer people will apply. Should help your odds to get drawn. Bruce

Definitely going to be fewer people applying & i'm one of them. Not playing that game, for some reason this crap really has me twisted up, it kind of reminds me of taxes.... go ahead & give us your money & we'll decide at a later date if you get any back. :D

Best of luck to those of you who continue on, I have to bow out of the Buffalo application process.

t

Definitely going to be fewer people applying & i'm one of them. Not playing that game, for some reason this crap really has me twisted up, it kind of reminds me of taxes.... go ahead & give us your money & we'll decide at a later date if you get any back. :D

Best of luck to those of you who continue on, I have to bow out of the Buffalo application process.

t

I can certainly understand and respect that point of view. I hadnt really thought of it that way to be honest.. It is a bunch of crap for sure...I already have my applications in and I would rather not get any of my money back and just get a bunch of tags back in the mail.

In New Mexico, you pay for every tag that you put in for up front. Ifyou don't draw, they refund your money at a later date. What it does is keep a lot of out of state hunters from putting in for tags like big horn sheep, ibex and oryx down here because they have to cough up $1600 for those tags up front. I don't really see any logic in it besides them getting interest or making sure that whoever draws actually pays in the end.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.